Eric,
Enjoyed talking with you today when we met so I could get my "Republic" materials back. After seeing the photos, you have posted here I can't wait to get time to look at the DVD's you gave me!
Thomas would make a great location to model. I thought about using the concept to enter one of the MR contests many years ago.
I think the Walthers or Plastruct oil refinery kit would give most of the parts to model a By-Product plant. At least that is where I am thinking of starting when I get time to work on that part of my steel mill. Although I have a strong emotional attachment to Republic's Gadsden operation, I have used influences from Birmingham District in developing the concept for the mill on my railroad.
Some other thoughts on the Thomas operation. At least in the last years, the production of the blast furnace or furnaces was sold to one of the local pipe or foundry operations. If I knew which one, I don't remember. The customer had actually offered to pay for the rebuild of at least one of the furnaces to continue getting the iron, but Republic refused. I guess they needed the coke for internal operations but didn't need the iron. It would be interesting to know if the Thomas iron was ever shipped to Gadsden in liquid form. I know the Youngstown blast furnces shipped bottle cars of molten iron to the Warren plant. I think that was over Chessie when I visited in the early 80's.
Glenn