Best Hobby Shops on the Web

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I shop at two different online hobby stores. Hobbylinc and Modeltrainstuff. Modeltrainstuff usually has the absolute lowest prices on what they carry. And though they do have a good inventory, Hobbylinc's inventory is larger. And their prices on most items are just a tad higher. The down side with them though is that they do not carry an Athearn inventory.

There's an online store out of Rverside, California called Discounttrainsonline. They have a decent inventory but their prices are usually a little high. But one good thing that they do offer is that they have just one flat shipping charge---No matter how much one buys, or how much the merchandise weighs, or how large the packagages it comes is, as long as where the merchandise is to be shipped is in the lower 48, the shipping charge is still the same.

I agree with others here about internettrains. I've had a bad experience with them the one time I bought from them. Never again. Not only are their prices way too astronomical, but they are very rude, VERY undependable and their business practices are completely unacceptable. There's a local hobbyshop about 10 miles form here. However every time I've shpped there, no matter what the item was that I was wanting to buy, they would always say they were out of. So, I don't even bother with them anymore.

So basically, I shop at Hobbylinc and Modeltrainstuff. Both of these businesses have excellent prompt customer service and I've never had any kind of a problem with either.

John
 
Both hobbylinc and modeltrainstuff get two big thumbs up. :)

It's so nice to deal with competent merchants you can trust. I just got these Mantua Classic Heavyweight Old Time 1860's boxcars on sale from hobbylinc for just $7.89 each... :eek:

091f9b54.jpg


Both doors slide open and they have knuckle couplers.

Greg
 


Train Stuff is my 1st Choice...again, and again, and again

I have bought a lot of stuff from Train Stuff (MB Klein) in the last month. They ship in one to two days, and my order arrives within a week. They offer Priority US Mail, which is low priced and fast delivery :)

One of the Kato switch controllers I ordered did not work upon arrival, and I immediately received a RMA # and a UPS shipping label, so I could return the defective part.

Train Stuff offers 1st Class Professional Service, Great Selection, and Excellent Prices. I have no reason to shop anywhere else so I keep going back to Train Stuff.
:D :D :D
 
How long did Hobbylinc take to get you the cars after you ordered them?

I combined the boxcars which were on sale with some backordered black and white cows, so the shipment arrived when they said it would, 2 1/2 weeks after the order was placed. Their service is top notch. :)

Greg
 
I asked because I ordered an item that was sold out EVERYWHERE except for Hobbylinc. They just shipped my order so I'll get it before Saturday! :D

It was a Norfolk Southern OCS dome car.

Now if only Hobbylinc had those Amtrak Phase IVb (Bachmann calls it Phase V) amfleet cafes. They're sold out everywhere, possible discontinued, and Hobbylinc doesn't have them either (item BAC13117)

Has anyone dealt with Nicholas Smith Trains?

http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/store/

They have 4 of the Amfleet Cafes in stock, but their site looks a bit shabby.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I asked because I ordered an item that was sold out EVERYWHERE except for Hobbylinc. They just shipped my order so I'll get it before Saturday! :D

It was a Norfolk Southern OCS dome car.

Cool! :)
It's always satisfying to actually find what you're looking for. I'm on Hobbylinc's weekly email list for all of their sales items. It's lots of fun looking through them. :)

Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Although I deal with Phil's Hobby Shop, in Fort Wayne, Indiana, by buying at the store, he has a great group of people working for him. He also has an eBay store.

He's also big into R/C.

A direct link to the train site.

http://www.philshobbyshop.com/tek9.asp?pg=Trains

Home page:

http://www.philshobbyshop.com/

Bob

I like Phil's too- great prices, helpful staff and real quick delivery. I discovered him through e-bay, but now I purchase directly from his store's site- the prices are a little better there.

All the best,

Sean C. (C&NW Man)
 
I know who isn't best anymore...

...placed an order for 2 items, that showed in stock, from a big upper midwest distributor with an equally big catalog. When I checked status both items show "backordered" with no estimated due date. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't want them right away. That's why I paid an extra $5 for priority shipping. To top it off they even charged my CC the day after placing the order.

Won't see me no more.:mad::mad::mad:
 


Half Price Hobby - www.halfpricehobby.com is my LHS's (Shepaug Railroad Company in Leominster, MA) online store. They are very good.

The prices are great. He doesn't have his entire stock on the site though (only the stuff that's 40-50% off, stuff that's 20-30% off doesn't make it onto the site) so if you're looking for something in particular, give them a call.

I don't know if they ship out of the country, but if you're from Canada and see anything that you want, I can pick it up and send it to you at my actual cost if prepaid. (Massachusetts sales tax is 6.25%) I typically visit this store on Saturdays.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yankee Dabbler > www.yankeedabbler.com

Great people to interact with, very friendly and seems to be hobbyist themselves. I have noticed that for DCC stuff they have the lowest price.

They do ship outside US.
 
Hi Everyone,

Hi Everyone,

I belong to a company called Micro Fasteners. I've been helping hobbyists like yourselves for many years and can offer advice for the build of nearly any of your projects. Reply to this message if there's any way I can help you out.

Thank you,
Rich
 
Toy Train Heaven

I have bought from them a few times but probably not again. My last order took over two weeks to get here and when I opened the box I was pissed. They packed three N scale tank cars in a box that was at least 12''x12''x12'' (one cubic foot) with 1 piece of newspaper crumpled up in the corner of the box. Nice packaging. .............NOT
I'll just stick to ordering from M.B. Kleins
 
My perennial favorites:

www.blueridgehobbies.com Frank the owner always answers the phone and is extremely helpful. Great web site. Weird hours, but Ive only visited the store once. Great service.

www.modeltrainstuff.com. Great site, nice people, inventory is accurate. Ive been to the store twice in suburban Baltimore.

www.ulrichmodels.com Steve the owner is an active modeler himself and is very helpful. Very good for dcc and leds. Alot of great info on this site.

www.wholesaletrains.com Never had a problem, great website. Shipping can be pricey but they have some of the lowest prices Ive ever seen on some expensive items. When they post a date for availability, its usu accurate. Website is updated often.

www.litchfieldstation.com Great site for DCC items, Id argue better than Tony's Train Exchange. Free shipping if your order is > than $75.

Went by what I would call my LHS, The Little Choo Choo Shop, in Spencer,NC the other day. Was impressed for the first time in awhile over their in-stock selection and their service was awesome/friendly. Will be purchasing more from them.

Brad

Brad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tony's Train Exchange is affiliated with QSI. They are great for info, but otherwise, they try to push the QSI decoders. Litchfield Station is independently owned.
 
515-432-2361 , Boone Hobbies. Not an online store but they have a Karl, a karl being an old man who will answer the phone and personally hand pick your order for shipping. If they don't have it, they can get it at prices hard to beat and he always has special purchases, like the huge case of Atlas N scale rolling stock he just got in at $5 a car. The owner Mike is a Viet Nam vet and has been in the hobby forever, his store is like having a show in town 5 days a week.
 
Hi Everyone,

I belong to a company called Micro Fasteners. I've been helping hobbyists like yourselves for many years and can offer advice for the build of nearly any of your projects. Reply to this message if there's any way I can help you out.

Thank you,
Rich

Any sophisticated use of 30, 45, and 60 degree crossings, please, my layout is/will be huge ?
 


I have dealt with Wholesale Trains many times and have always been pleased with their prices and service. They have a good supply of products.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top