Athearn/Horizon Hobby is Squeezing the Life out of Brick & Mortar

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


dinwitty said:
Steve,

The rumor is Athearn is for sale, someone dump/save them outa Horizon...

Can you provide links for the press release or other information that this is official?

EDIT: Thanks cj, I fixed the misquote.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you provide links for the press release or other information that this is official?

RC, you quoted bigB. I think that you meant Dinwitty.

Believe it or not I've heard these rumors since Horizon acquired Athearn. Its been on different forums, lists, etc. But nothing concrete.
 


Rumors are commonplace. Horizon acquired Athearn as an "investment", and with the well documented production problems in the Far east, return on their investment may be less than anticipated. On the other hand, their Genesis line seems to be selling well. Personally, I would be surprised to see Horizon sell Athearn, since the brand is well known.

Joe
 
My LHS owner told me that

consider it rumor for now but you know rumors, sometimes...

alls quiet on the homefront then.....

Can you provide links for the press release or other information that this is official?

EDIT: Thanks cj, I fixed the misquote.
 
Yes to all that as far as rumors, however, IHC group formerly AHM; is looking to regroup in the model railroad products market and its all been tied up in the legal fine print that has kept them from completing the Athearn purchase. They also were looking at purchasing rights to the Rivarossi American products licensing. ANY OF THAT COULD BE POSITIVE.

Back in the 70s, AHM made some pretty detailed cars for a low price and established the modest level standard. The drive mechanisms they employed were lacking but I have 30 year old AHM engines that still run, just are noisy.

At the end of this, I would expect IHC to manage both brands in the US with Horizon & Hornby being licensing owners on paper.
 
Whoever gets Athearn (or not) I hope they continue with the upgrading of their RTR rolling stock to near Genesis standards. Been some very nice offerings coming out lately, more pricey but better made/detailed and more importantly, assembled than some of their compettitors.
 
I have no argument over the Genesis line, but Athearn got into our hearts with their highly affordable and detail-able stock that was mechanically dependable. I mean even until just a couple years ago, a basic PA, F unit, or GEEP was still only around $40 -50 bucks compared to KATOs price tag of double that.

I think for some guys, the spending of quality time detailing stock is both a personal thing and a source of peace & meditation. I never had the patience for that myself.

I do wish Bachmann would expand its PLUS line and SPECTRUM lines. Those spectrum heavy weight passenger coaches are amazing things and look like they are actually 1920s HEAVY weight items in miniature.
 
Yes to all that as far as rumors, however, IHC group formerly AHM; is looking to regroup in the model railroad products market and its all been tied up in the legal fine print that has kept them from completing the Athearn purchase. They also were looking at purchasing rights to the Rivarossi American products licensing. ANY OF THAT COULD BE POSITIVE.

Back in the 70s, AHM made some pretty detailed cars for a low price and established the modest level standard. The drive mechanisms they employed were lacking but I have 30 year old AHM engines that still run, just are noisy.

At the end of this, I would expect IHC to manage both brands in the US with Horizon & Hornby being licensing owners on paper.

AHM and IHC were enterprises of the late Bernie Paul, from Philadelphia. At one point in time, they were the sole distributors of Rivarossi products in the US. When AHM went bankrupt, IHC was created to continue the business. Eventually, Rivarossi made an exclusive distribution deal with Walthers, then Rivarossi went bankrupt, which is why their products disappeared from the shelves. After Bernie Paul's death, someone in Texas acquired the remaining inventory of the IHC product line and was distributing it.

Hornby, Rivarossi, and other European product lines have had their financial difficulties over the years, and have reorganized. From what I have read, their product lines have been updated, and are also manufactured in the Far East. My take is that this group may be working out a deal with Horizon, for US distribution of their product lines. I seriously doubt that Horizon would sell Athearn to anyone, but I do believe it possible that Horizon would acquire the rights to distribute Hornby/Rivarossi ET all in the US and Canada.

This is, of course, all speculation on my part, but in the absence of something definitive, it's as good a guess as any other.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top