Wow guys! I haven't seen a thread like this in a long time!

It was like War & Peace, the Hobbit, and Twister all rolled up in one!

Drank a whole diet Dew just reading from page 1 to here!
BRH, you do what you feel is best for you. I can see both sides of the argument, pros & cons.
On the Athearn parts situation,
Bruette is right, ebay is your best friend here. Actually, no matter whose engine it is, ebay can be your friend. If you need Athearn parts, just type in Athearn Parts in the search engine and "presto", Athearn parts appear. needs Proto parts? Do likewise! Mantua, Penn-line, Bowser, Kato, all the same. I do a considerable amount of shopping on ebay for my own, and other folks projects I've been charged to build. Even parts that are out of stock with Walthers and Horizon, I can find usually on ebay.
Now I do support my LHS as much as possible, but when he can't get a part I need, (and sometimes these projects have deadlines) I will search ebay.
Steve You are dead on here. One mans trash is anothers treasure. I was at a local auction last week and passed what appeared to be a box of old HO body shells. Sitting on top was a perfect GP38 shell. (I can always use another GP38 shell) I bid and won the whole box at auction for 5 bucks. Got it home and started matching pieces, shells, chassis, and trucks together. Final talley? 1 Athearn GP38 shell, 1 SW7 shell (undec) and 7 blue box freight cars, plus still more leftover junk, ooopss, I mean stuff!
Oh, and AFAIK, Life-like is still in business, as a division of Walthers. The Proto lines went directly to Walthers, but the train set quality stuff is still Lifelike. There is still staff at the Baltimore location, just a lot less than there was.