Thanks gents. When I designed the layout, I designed it so I could pack as much into a small space as I could. I wanted a bridge, tunnels, over/under operation, 2 main lines, and a yard. I must admit, though, that I did have a lot of guidance from members of this forum during the design and build of this layout.
For anyone considering a similar design,
If you're thinking of building a layout similar to this, allow me to warn you of some of the troubles I've had thus far (many, though, are due to poorly laid trackwork, as this is my first layout). Many may not apply to you, but I feel it's a good idea to warn you anyway.
First and foremost is the limitations of this design. The tight radius curves (15" inside and 18" outside) and steep grades (about 4%). To pull any decent amount of rolling stock, small engines with a lot of traction work best. I've modified the front couplers and boxes on a few of the cars and rear couplers on some of the engines to allow more room to "swing" without derailing. Without doing this, the tight radius turns cause the overhang on the engines and cars to push the tail of the lead and head of the trail to push off of the track. The only US diesel engine I currently own that can make the entire inner line without derailing and grinding to a halt is my SD38-2. Surprisingly, my GP38 won't even make it. My 4-4-0 American steamer has no issues making the run, but can only haul 1 or 2 VERY lightweight cars (the engine itself is lightweight, with no room for additional weight over the drivers).
With the grades, a single engine (even the Dash 9) has a hard time pulling more than a couple of heavily weighted cars (which is why I have 3 engines pulling 14 cars, including a track cleaning box car. I like to run loooong trains.

).
Secondly, I have had quite a few issues with uncoupling. This is likely due to my inexperience and poor trackwork. When first running the layout, cars would uncouple from the engine when entering the first grade on the main line. I fixed this by reducing the initial grade and leveling the track a bit. The other issues with uncoupling came from wavy trackwork on my part.
Most of the issues could be prevented by an experienced model railroader. That being said, this particular design really isn't a first time builder's layout. Though I'm enjoying operating and building the layout, I wouldn't do this design as a first layout. If I had to start fresh, I'd build it with minimal grading and wider radius curves, even if it meant losing the over/under operation. I also wouldn't use the foam the way I did to create the initial grades (a hot wire would've been better to cut the foam away, then add the risers and inclines to the squared foam. I used a regular kitchen knife and a rasp, then added the risers and inclines, making for a rough road).
Despite the issues I've had, I should be able to get plenty of enjoyment from this little layout for a good while to come (especially once I can get to adding the ground cover and other scenery).
Steve B,
Yep, the Class 43 HST 125 is one of my favorite passenger trains. This particular train was my first model train. My parent's got it for me when I was in the 1st grade. We were living in London at the time, so it was only natural to get a British train. If my father remembers correctly, we got to ride one while there, as well (I do remember seeing them at the train stations, at least). British trains are what I really wanted to get into when I got back into trains. At the time, I was looking for more of a "quick fix" that I could get through my LHS. They can't get them, so I ended up going for a US prototype. Since then, I've learned of a few more resources for British trains, and will be buying more in the future (thinking of a Virgin Pendolino for my next one).
If you liked seeing the 125 on my little 4x8, watch her stretch her legs a bit on my club's HO layout, which has a few curves designed for high speed passenger trains (mostly the Amtrak Acela). When I first brought her out onto the main line, I had to get in behind a New York Central EMD diesel hauling freight. What a bummer!!! She really couldn't stretch her legs any using only about 1/3 of the throttle to keep from running over that EMD. I did, however, take a few chances to stop, let the EMD catch up to me, then give the 125 full power to highball around the layout and slow to keep from running the EMD over. Towards the end of our open house, I was the only one on the line, that's when I was able to allow her to highball to her heart's content. That's also when I made the below linked video.
Here's the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EISuuvgIJBg
Also, if you guys want to see the layout go by a bit slower, here's another vid I made today after taking the HST off of the line. I'm running my Athearn Dash 9 #9823, Athearn SD38-2 #3819, and Athearn GP38 #5287 pulling the "Juice Train".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIVl3sQCSv8
Shannon