mydartswinger
Member
Good afternoon,
Over the last couple of months, I've been going through the process of beginning an HO layout. To follow the progression I went through to decide on how I was going to build it, you can read my previous thread located at:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18548
It's going to be set in the Appalachian Mountains in a coal mining town, modern day, and using Norfolk Southern "Horsehead" locomotives to provide service to the mine.
Primary features of the layout include 2 continuously running mainlines, a staging/yard area, 2 tunnels, and a bridge. There will end up being a lake/pond feeding a river leading to a waterfall that will feed the river that goes under the bridge.
The downfalls, which I'm willing to live with, are 15" and 18" radius curves, 4% grades, and limited expansion capabilities. I know the 15" radius curves are tight, so I will be using 4 axle diesels, such as the GP38-2 on the line with the 15" radius curves. Though the overhang won't be true to scale, I should be able to run small 6 axle locos such as the SD38 on the line with 18" radius curves. As for the grades, I was shooting for a 2% grade, but for what I wanted to do, I would have to take up my entire layout to get it there. It would have been something like an 8% grade had I not gone with split grades to provide the clearance. I know the 4% grade isn't prototypical on a coal railroad, however the small size of the layout restricts the length of train I can pull, so the locos have plenty of power to make the grade with a full load and minimal loss of speed. I will, however, have to bend up the air lines on the couplers to keep them from striking the track on the grades. I was going to add a turnout in each tunnel to allow future expansion, but the work required to provide access to the turnouts there in case of derailment would've been a bit more than I want to do at the moment. At this time, I'd rather tear it down and start over or just build from scratch than do that. This layout should provide plenty of enjoyment for several years, or at least until I can have the space for a much larger layout in the future. In that case, this one can become more of a "toy" layout or a living room/game room layout.
On to the build. This started off with a simple Bachmann Santa Fe Flyer set on 2 2'x4' tables side by side for a 4'x4'. Once I decided to go ahead and go with the 4'x8', I built the table and added the grass mat for appearances. This is shown in the pictures attached in this post.
More pictures and progress to follow in my next posts.
Over the last couple of months, I've been going through the process of beginning an HO layout. To follow the progression I went through to decide on how I was going to build it, you can read my previous thread located at:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18548
It's going to be set in the Appalachian Mountains in a coal mining town, modern day, and using Norfolk Southern "Horsehead" locomotives to provide service to the mine.
Primary features of the layout include 2 continuously running mainlines, a staging/yard area, 2 tunnels, and a bridge. There will end up being a lake/pond feeding a river leading to a waterfall that will feed the river that goes under the bridge.
The downfalls, which I'm willing to live with, are 15" and 18" radius curves, 4% grades, and limited expansion capabilities. I know the 15" radius curves are tight, so I will be using 4 axle diesels, such as the GP38-2 on the line with the 15" radius curves. Though the overhang won't be true to scale, I should be able to run small 6 axle locos such as the SD38 on the line with 18" radius curves. As for the grades, I was shooting for a 2% grade, but for what I wanted to do, I would have to take up my entire layout to get it there. It would have been something like an 8% grade had I not gone with split grades to provide the clearance. I know the 4% grade isn't prototypical on a coal railroad, however the small size of the layout restricts the length of train I can pull, so the locos have plenty of power to make the grade with a full load and minimal loss of speed. I will, however, have to bend up the air lines on the couplers to keep them from striking the track on the grades. I was going to add a turnout in each tunnel to allow future expansion, but the work required to provide access to the turnouts there in case of derailment would've been a bit more than I want to do at the moment. At this time, I'd rather tear it down and start over or just build from scratch than do that. This layout should provide plenty of enjoyment for several years, or at least until I can have the space for a much larger layout in the future. In that case, this one can become more of a "toy" layout or a living room/game room layout.
On to the build. This started off with a simple Bachmann Santa Fe Flyer set on 2 2'x4' tables side by side for a 4'x4'. Once I decided to go ahead and go with the 4'x8', I built the table and added the grass mat for appearances. This is shown in the pictures attached in this post.
More pictures and progress to follow in my next posts.
