A model with a Middle Earth theme

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


What the heck! Keith wants to build something and you guys are ripping education. Why can't you give him a hand? P.S. I did a senior project in college and learned a lot from doing it.
Yes, your concerns are valid and understandable.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Keith if you are still with us, post #7 by shortliner does have some great looking buildings. Not sure on your timeline but hydrocal molds may be faster than the Vollmer or Kibri kits and you can do more whimsical things.
 
We had thought about having our physical model represent real cities, but that's not quite as interesting as Middle Earth. Also, some people might be uncomfortable about a training scenario that blacks out a model of Chicago or New York, but nobody is uncomfortable if we black out Hobbiton or Rivendell.



Keith
With all due respect Keith.........someday I'm afraid we're all going to regret the efforts of a certain group, to remove every potential "uncomfortable" situation from life and the education process as well. If you are in training to run a power grid or any type of job where failure may have disasterous consequences........it might be good to keep consideration of same in the forefront of consciousness. Just my two cents.
 


If you wanted a fictional environment why didn't you pick the Thomas the Tank engine stuff? Hobbits is a STUPID IDEA. I'm more concerned that you don't realize this.
 
I hate to say it but some final year engineer grads made some awesome stuff with Lego bricks, blew everyone away.
 
1) Searching for "Political forum" on Google returns 353 million hits. This site isn't one of them. Keep it that way!

2) Calling anyone's choice for a model railroad, be it historically accurate or total fantasy with unicorns, leprechauns and trolls, a STUPID IDEA, is well, a stupid idea. Don't do it very often, lest you find you can no longer post on this site.

It's totally fine to not agree with somebody's choice of themes. It's even fine to suggest they select something else, especially if you have a compelling reason, such as "If you model the XY&Z in HO Scale, there are far more kits available...." But calling somebody's choice "stupid" is not acceptable.
 
Well, it has about all passed me by. I grew up being imaginative, creating things with my hands, worshiping Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Long Ranger, and others - plus loving anything to do with trains and airplanes.
I don't go to movies anymore .. Can't take all the computer animation of just about all films -especially Harry Potter nor the Hobbits nor the fantasy BS of humans morphing into monsters. Now we have the dead walking around .. I have to say that it does show where we are headed - Soylent anyone?
BTW .. What is a Hobbit?
 
1) Searching for "Political forum" on Google returns 353 million hits. This site isn't one of them. Keep it that way!

2) Calling anyone's choice for a model railroad, be it historically accurate or total fantasy with unicorns, leprechauns and trolls, a STUPID IDEA, is well, a stupid idea. Don't do it very often, lest you find you can no longer post on this site.

It's totally fine to not agree with somebody's choice of themes. It's even fine to suggest they select something else, especially if you have a compelling reason, such as "If you model the XY&Z in HO Scale, there are far more kits available...." But calling somebody's choice "stupid" is not acceptable.


I completely agree. Politics forums are the right place for much of the discussion on this thread.
 


I completely agree. Politics forums are the right place for much of the discussion on this thread.

Please elaborate as I see no political discussion in any post on this thread. Where exactly would you post a political discussion other than "general discusion"?
 
Did anyone notice they are JUST looking for model kits of Hobbit type structures? NO MODEL RAILROAD AT ALL. They HAVE constructed an almost ready to go power grid, and want to populate the rest with "Hobbit stuff". They could have used some late 1880's structures to portray the early days of electricity, or into the 1920's when many still didn't have household electricity. They might have used some correct-to-the-era automobiles, horse drawn ice wagons n such, billboards with TESLA or EDISON ad's and such, but a pre-technology fictional subject seems to take away from the project. Maybe they cold have had windmills driving primitive DC generators on farms, and AC hydro-electric dams across the farm creek powering the local industries like cotton mills etc. Just sayin'...
 
maybe they voted on a middle age theme? not really seeing anywhere where the size of the project is listed. maybe the utility company is actually funding it, and the students are participating? maybe some of the gamer type stores would have something more suitable than train stuff? probably some of the kibri, heljan kits would work if you wanted specifically model train stuff.
 
Hi Keith,
Could this be an opportunity for the electrical engineering students to work with their industrial design peers who may have useful skills in CAD and 3D printing?
Andy
 
I have a feeling Kieth will not be back. I would love to see what they designed, very interesting electronics I assume.
 
I think I remember seeing a small amount of middle earth themed stuff at Hobbytown last time I was there... I would check with some of the gamer kind of stores.

What a shame to turn a simple question into such a political argument.
 
Seems to me a hillside with round doors imbedded in the hills would suffice for the most part.

And thanks to all who alienated Keith with their stupid opinions. It seems to me that Tolkien and Jackson and all others that dealt with the Hobbit subject were far from college seniors, so they must have been worse than stupid.

Keith, please come back. You can ignore all the nay-sayers. There are people here that approve of fantasy. That's why we're into toy trains.

Oh, aren't threads on dioramas allowed on these forums? I seem to remember some without a train theme. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Wow, as a disinterested bystander reading this post, I am amazed at the vitriol leveled at the original poster. The guy came here seeking advice about something that may be slightly "off the reservation" when it comes to model railroading, but some of the responses leveled at him are beyond my comprehension. In the end, don't most of us model a "fantasy" world? Be it in the past or freelanced??

I guess there's a reason that participation in model railroading as a hobby is declining, and in the end we "old hands" have to share a large part of the blame. Perhaps it's our way of responding to and dealing with "newcomers" that alienates at least SOME potential brothers, no matter their particular area of interest.

Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, nor am I advocating the OPs particular version of model railroading, I'm just saying that sometimes as a small community, we can be our own worst enemies.

P&LE
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top