2'x15' yard ideas...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


You are doing a really good job on your lay out.I wish I had that kinda room..lol..My wife just gave the basement not all of it just a nuff room for a 4x8..The way I look at it is a start anyways..lol..

Jason
 
This discussion has moved well beyond the planning stage but I thought I'd throw this in any way. This is an N scale yard I drew up to add to my door layout. But make each square 2 feet and you have a yard that would fit very nicely in your space (with some minor modifications).

RailYard-1.jpg


You can still have a double ended yard and fill the dead space on the ends up with an array of spurs. And you can address the shorting yard tracks by orienting both ends of your ladders in the same direction ( / / ) instead of using opposing directions ( / \ ).

This yard was designed for a switching engine to build and tear down trains for two mainline operators.
Lanes 1 & 4 are kept empty to build consists in.
Lanes 2, 3, & 5 - 8 are for storage. I figure about 50 - 75 cars will fit in there depending on type (probably not as many if we're talking '89 auto decks).
Lanes 10 & 11 for cabooses or cars used less often
Lane 9 is a pass through track
Lanes 12 - 14 are your engine parks (figure 8 - 10 locomotives)

All this gives you a good mix of storage and function. It'll be many moons before I ever get to build it (I figure at least $800 in cost) but this is my plan.
 


Well that is the one thing I wanted to do differenty was to have the main swing across to the other side so I could have all my yard tracks the same length like you have there, but space wouldnt allow it. I built this with no trackplan to follow or mull over besides what I was thinking and I wanted to have minimum 28" radius curves, but with the space restraints at one end, it ended up being 24.5" R and the other end had to run along the wall so as to not disrupt activities on the other side of the wall...hope this might it explaine it some...
 
Well I looked into taking the panels out this morning n no can do...they were put in before the flooring and it is nailed to the interior frame below the surface plywood that the carpet underlay is on and the same with the top...it looks like the wall was panelled first and then the slopes of the roof after...

I guess somebody knew this might be a train room someday and decided not to make it easy for a renter to do it haha...off to the extremely limited (HO section smaller then my bathroom) train store I go...
 
HOtrainfan - you JINXED it!!!

Well well, I guess I got jinxed here...came home from the train store n here is what I found. Looks like somebody busted into the place and decided to tear things up a bit. I cant believe my luck tho!! The culprit threw a 2x4 chunk against the wall and musta threw it hard...and it was EXACTLY where I needed to go thru the wall!!!!!!!!!! How about that????
 
Culprit

Well well, I guess I got jinxed here...came home from the train store n here is what I found. Looks like somebody busted into the place and decided to tear things up a bit. I cant believe my luck tho!! The culprit threw a 2x4 chunk against the wall and musta threw it hard...and it was EXACTLY where I needed to go thru the wall!!!!!!!!!! How about that????

Did you catch him?
Wayne
 
What can the landlord do? Keep your deposit? He was going to do that anyway.

...off to the extremely limited (HO section smaller then my bathroom) train store I go...

LOL Don't even get me started! Just be glade you are HO and not in N scale.
 
Nope didnt catch him...

hehe BurlingtonBob...you know it....

I told myself that I will figure out a way to cover it if I have to...
 


Okay I confess, I did it!
Sorry about the mess I left behind, I tripped over the chairs when I was busy looking for cascade green locos!
 
HAHA!! Well the only green loco's I have would be a couple CNW green/yellow 8-40 CW's n I better go check n make sure they are still here. Soon to be stripped n repainted in "Western Plains" livery!!
 
Well well, I guess I got jinxed here...came home from the train store n here is what I found. Looks like somebody busted into the place and decided to tear things up a bit. I cant believe my luck tho!! The culprit threw a 2x4 chunk against the wall and musta threw it hard...and it was EXACTLY where I needed to go thru the wall!!!!!!!!!! How about that????

Haha! Glad to see you used my advice err I mean dang thats horrible!! lol but that does make for a really cool scenery piece. I look forward to seeing what you make of it
 
I got 10' of shelving just itchin to go up there now...just waiting for the glue on the foam to dry now. Along that wall will be just dual mainline, no sidings, so a narrower shelf, 6" wide...
 
I got 10' of shelving just itchin to go up there now...just waiting for the glue on the foam to dry now. Along that wall will be just dual mainline, no sidings, so a narrower shelf, 6" wide...

If you went a bit wider, you could make a cool country/mountain rock face along the wall, or put in some cool scenery.
 
Still the plan to do a mountain scene there with tunnels n such...I just didnt want to have it to wide so that room can still be used as a TV room if so desired (but I know it never will). Where are the pics of your airport???
 
lol, well right now it is just 2, 2x5's bolted together since we have been trying to build all the other sections. We have been side tracked by lifes responsibilities lately (I know, it sucks right lol) But tomorrow we will be back to working on the train stuff and ill snap a few pics of what we have done. And you could always build a special shelf for your tv UNDER the train board, and sit on a creeper to watch it lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Other side of the wall!!!

Here is what I got done tonight...made 2 shelves n screwed em to the wall. The one against the wall is 2' long and is 10" at the widest and tapers down to 6". The other is a 8' x 6" strip and I have covered em with 1" pink foam n used Elmers white glue to make it stick...will see how it works.
 
Forgot to add this...I have been pretty excited about getting this side started and so here I have glued down my WS foam roadbed already with Elmers white glue...and then I temp. laid track to see how it would look with the crossover and the yard lead switch and then I just had to get a train out there!! The empty spot in the middle is purposely left out so I can model a small bridge there when I get around to doing scenery :)
 


Lookin good! I am in the process of cleaning up and organizing all of our stuff now. Quick question, the last pic in the last post, did you get those CSX and CSL intermodals together on ebay recently?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top