ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Mmmmm frosted Flakes!
I did something similar with thin rubber strips, the cardstock I was using expanded when the wet glue for ballasting soaked in.
Your trackwork looks great, has a nice flow to it!
Well thanks for the compliments Rico, I think I am gonna head up there n start drilling feeders and glueing mainline track on my 2nd module today...
Here is an update...got my mainlines all done now and feeders installed every 5 feet and all 3 sides of all switches. I got half my yard glued down and feeders the same there also. I wont be able to finish the far end of it tho cause the wall is in the way and the yard lead on that side is going to be just on the other side of the wall (rented house issues)...
I do have 1 issue though that just came up and I suspect it might have something to do with one of the Walthers 4 unit cars...I went to move a loco and it took alot more then usual power and then about 5 seconds later my DC controller cut out n the overload light came on. One of the cars in the 4 car set has metal wheels...gonna have to check it out...
One more thing...the 4 car set is connected with plastic drawbars...is there any easy way of flipping the set over without breaking the drawbars from twisting it??
Make sure all the insulated wheels are on the same side.
As for flipping it over, I always keep the coupler lids off the center car for that reason.
Lookin good man! I just built the airport, and soon to start on the actual layout. Did you get the ok on blasting the wall down? lol And what did you use to glue down your track to the foam?
Thanks!! I havnt n prolly wont get the OK to blast down the wall, but I am thinkin that there has to be an easy way to cover it up afterwards if I do...I will post pics of where the wall will be cut out on the other side and about how big...
I have been using Elmers white glue for everything so far - glueing the foam roadbed to the styrofoam and then glueing the track to the foam roadbed...works great n hold it firmly in place!! Post a pic of your airport...Im interested to see that!!
Might need the wives input here...
OK guys, here is where I am gonna have to go thru the wall (IF) I do it. The hole is gonna be about 12" wide x 4" high. This is a rental house that I am hoping to buy in June...but I am really getting antsy about making the expansion to finish my yard. IF I cut this hole, is there any easy way to cover it back up nicely so it doesnt look to out of place just in case I dont buy this place?? I will do my best to make the smallest cut possible so I can save the piece I cut out...
IF I cut this hole, is there any easy way to cover it back up nicely so it doesnt look to out of place just in case I dont buy this place?? I will do my best to make the smallest cut possible so I can save the piece I cut out...
There's no easy way to cover up a hole that size. You would need to patch it with the cut out piece (definitely save that) and joint compound. Then you'll have to sand and repaint the wall.
LOL you know you are GOING TO CUT that hole eventually, so stop fretting about it, just save the pieces you cut out for a patch job later IF you need it. Chances are u may not, so ...JUST DO IT MAN!!! you know you want to. You are already practicing skills for a nice patch job if needed.

Hate to be a downer but your wall looks like it is paneling that has been painted. If that is the case there is no way to patch it without telltale marks. (Gaps left from the saw kerf.) If it was just plain drywall that could be cut and later patched and painted without leaving a trace if you were good.
I know, I know. It's awfully tempting isn't it?

As an afterthought; maybe you could exercise eminent domain?

Hahaha....it is more tempting then a big juicy slab of prime rib!! It is panelling and I was thinkin that maybe if I cut it with my razor saw then it might be pretty easy to replace...maybe put up a small picture there afterwards lol...
Paneling? Darn, it looks like I need my eyes checked again!
How about this? Perhaps you could remove the entire panel pieces uncut leaving just the studs and then just nail them back into place again later on if necessary. Just a thought.
I'd cut a huge chunk out and make a pass thru shelf.
What, that hole? It was there when I moved in.
By Dave S;
Perhaps you could remove the entire panel pieces uncut leaving just the studs and then just nail them back into place again later on if necessary.
Now that's a good idea!
So here is what you do. Just go ahead and knock that hole through with a sledgehammer. Throw around some chairs, overturn a table or two, and open a window. Frantically call the landlord saying someone broke in, tore up the place, and just happened to knock a huge hole in that wall for no reason. Then when he/she comes over to look at what happened, say that the wall is a bust and needs to be removed anyway, and you are golden!! ....ok ok so maybe not the best idea but hey I tried! lol On a serious note, taking the whole panneling down and saving it like Dave S said is a really good idea. It shouldnt be to hard to remove and save either. Probably alot easier than trying to patch the hole later.
Either remove the paneling as mentioned above or just make a small portal entrance as in the entrance to a tunnel, cut it out with a razor saw, save the pieces and it is easy to put back if you don't buy the place.
Yea I thought of removing the panels, might be a little easier and then I can put my own temporary panelling up. If I was to cut the rectangle out with my razor saw at a 45 deg. angle then I think the piece might just about fit right back in almost unnoticeably...hmm...I dont think I have every typed that word before...
Yea I thought of removing the panels, might be a little easier and then I can put my own temporary panelling up. If I was to cut the rectangle out with my razor saw at a 45 deg. angle then I think the piece might just about fit right back in almost unnoticeably...hmm...I dont think I have every typed that word before...
Well as my dear old Dad used to say "almost" only counts with horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons. Just don't give your landlord and excuse to keep your security deposit!

OK guys...here it is!! I have finally completed the trackwork on the south end of the yard!! All feeders are in and all I need to do now is finish installing the CI ground throws for the yard tracks and then put the tortoise's under for the mainline crossovers...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)