2011 Athearn Genesis GP7/9

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Gosh I hope they do a Chessie unit! Especially some of the 3/4 chop nosed versions owned by the Western Maryland! That would save me lots of hours and money cutting up Proto 2000 units!

-Rich
 
Hope so. Though I have some running around now on the old cast metal Atlas Kato Geep chassis, and the Athearns will have to run pretty well to make the switch worthwhile.

If you're a UP modeler -- Microscale doesn't have a set at the moment that will handle as-delivered GP9 paint schemes. No lettering for Route of the Streamliners/Serves All The West on the cab. So people with information should sent it along or at least lobby them to revive it.
 


I'm holding on for Paducahbuilts. I hope they do them in all three paint schemes (orange and white ICG, orange and gray ICG, IC deathstar). Then they can do MSRC, MDS, G&M, and half a dozen other short lines across the country that bought up the old IC power.
 
They're really nice and all but how do they (the whole model industry)expect young people to get in this hobby with the prices these days. Man when I first got in the hobby my kids were little and I couldn't aford much but you could buy a new Athearn loco for $10. They're catering to the older crowd but what happens when they die out? Are they just cashing in now and not worried about the future?

Just say'in.
 
Well, these days everyone wants more and more detail.

The details on them will be decent, but looking at the pre-pro photos, it seems that the class lights are cast on and do not have lenses (come on, even Atlas's standard line has lenses!) so that will be a detail that some will miss.

The thing I dislike about Athearn Genesis is that their motors have a lot of "stick-tion." The motors like to stick and won't start turning until enough voltage is applied to it, but when you get to the point where enough voltage is applied to overcome the sticking, the locomotive takes off at 60SMPH.

All of my genesis locos do that. I emailed Athearn and was told that it is indeed an issue with the motors.
 
While these GP9's might be expensive, we MUST remember that Athearn still sells the MOST correct (major dimensions wise) RTR GP38-2 in HO scale (even better then some brass releases!). These RTR GP38-2's are available in Athearn train sets (which is a common way to enter the hobby), and run anywhere from $150-$200 in hobby stores. Not a bad deal all things considered.
 
Although I would agree that they are the most correct dimension-wise, the rest of the details are lacking (slotted pilots, no see-thru fans, not DCC-ready, no actual headlights, no lift rings, etc) although I don't think it would be too difficult to fix them (get new pilots, new fans, install lift rings, etc). Installing a decoder in the older bluebox style frame is easy enough.
 


Although I would agree that they are the most correct dimension-wise, the rest of the details are lacking (slotted pilots, no see-thru fans, not DCC-ready, no actual headlights, no lift rings, etc) although I don't think it would be too difficult to fix them (get new pilots, new fans, install lift rings, etc). Installing a decoder in the older bluebox style frame is easy enough.

True, but still the price in a few years spiked from $270 to $290 retail is pulling me away. Buying those parts and laboring some hours would add it to $400. No thanks. If anything I'd get them for discount and just run them
 
I'm not sure they can do anything about prices when current economic conditions (including inflation) keep messing with what the dollar can buy nowadays.

Athearn would go a long way to DCC ready their GP38-2s (as well as the other GP40-2 and GP50). However, they'd need a new shell (the weight is where the dynamic brakes go, which prevents putting in the standard light board), and that's probably their main impediment.

In Athearn's credit, they do get some of the smaller details right, like horns and bells. I've had to correct all my Atlas Classic, Silver and Gold line locos, because Atlas either threw on an S3L when it should have been a P5 (or two P5s) as well as a hood mounted bell instead of a sill mounted bell, or in the case of my recent SOU purchases, put the bell on the wrong end of the loco (should have been on the long hood, not short).

I'm glad that they are finally talking about Paducahbuilts. IMHO, that no one else (other than brass) have attempted one, and it's a big hole in my fleet.
 
True, but still the price in a few years spiked from $270 to $290 retail is pulling me away. Buying those parts and laboring some hours would add it to $400. No thanks. If anything I'd get them for discount and just run them

Let's not forget that all anyone has seen so far are pre-production models. The production run often corrects these shortcomings. Don't count on getting them at much of a discount either. Runs will probably be small and sell out quickly.

The Chinese are having their own issues with inflation, labor problems, and the US manufactureres are having to deal with a smaller pool of qualified Chinese sources for the kine of detail we are currently insisting on.

As for getting young people into the hobby, that isn't where the Genesis line is aimed. There is still the RTR line, Walthers Trainline, Atlas Trainman, and of course Bachmann. There is plenty of lower cost stuff for beginners out there!
 
For the price of $270 CDN, I would instantly pick up an Athearn GP7 in this Road:

cimg5578y.jpg


This is Canadian National #4803 (EMD GP7) and is currently at the Muesum that I volunteer for.

http://www.TRHA.ca
 
Really looking forward to the Paducah rebuilds in ICG or deathstar (assuming all the rumours are true!).
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top