1/87th Vehicles

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Heres a couple of MOW trucks I finished last night. They will be decaled for Conrail. Scale chain was used, along with the "parts box". Note that I attempted ac units on the cabs by using Herpa strobe pedestals. Also i used fire engine sirens mounted on the drivers mirrors for outboard p.a. speakers for the radios while the crew works.

Brian, your photos are rather blurry. Set you camera to Macro mode (flower symbol on many cameras) to take close up photos that are in focus.
 
Well I guess I'll jump on the Boley MOW truck band wagon. These are 2 that I've been playing around with the last couple of days.

001-17.jpg


002-9.jpg
Looking good Jerome. I'm guessing your going to add a crane to that crew cab truck.
 
This is a add-on to my recent post with the lumber and log trucks.

Here is a better view of the bed of the lumber truck;
attachment.php


A view of the Intermodal yard. We are still working on this corner of the layout. We installed some new lights here so you can actually see the yard now.
attachment.php
 


I do have an Atlas F-150, Riverpoint Station Ford pick up, and a handfull of Trident pickups. All with strobes, and custom tool boxes. Some have backracks, CB antenna and caution cones.

My pictures are blurry due to the fact that Im using a rather crap cell phone camera. I even tried cleaning the lense.

The MOW trucks look awesome! Keep us updated as soon as you get the cranes in! How did you channel the utility body with such a clean cut? and what is the carboard colored filler pieces? Also, is the INTL 7000 a long dump bed that was cut down? TKS!
 
Brain, I used a dremel to make the big cuts, then cut cleaned it up with x-acto blades. The filler pieces are sheet styrene, the floors are Cannon and Co. walkway tread. The INTL 7000 is sitting on a Dumpster truck frame. The back bed is a cut down dump truck.
 


Jerome,
Heres some more to support your decision. I think that it looks perfectly like a prototype MOW truck. I build whatever comes to mind, and it usually comes close to something real.
 
Brian, thank you for those pictures. That helps a lot!!! I think I might try and make that boom a one piece straight boom. It'll look better than all segmented I think.
 
No problem. I think so too. I have seen a resin kit of a "national" brand straight boom crane in 1/87. I think its kinda pricy tho. I'll stick with the $8 Herpa Hiabs for now. A folding knuckle crane however, may be more "prototypical" of a wheel truck. I'm currently building one for my fathers layout. It just depends on the intended use of the vehicle I guess.
 
Got some new trucks in today so I threw this one together. It has parts from 4 different trucks on it.

boomtruck2002.jpg


boomtruck2001.jpg


Still needs lot of parts like ladders and diamond plating on the crane deck etc.
 


Jerome's got another RR Hobby to keep him out of trouble.:D:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top