Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. G

    Are you an NMRA Member?

    No, not a member. I looked into it and I couldn't see the value to me. I'm pretty much a loner, so the social aspects wouldn't do anything for me. Membership is not cheap. If they had something like a $10/yr membership with no magazine I'd be fine with that. I do support and appreciate the...
  2. G

    Train Service Depot - anyone used them?

    I found a service/repair place that specializes in electrical repair of BLI stuff called Train Service Depot. I do have a BLI loco that needs work. While their services sound good it seems a little expensive, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Has anyone used them...
  3. G

    BLI SD7 "sings" - what to check first?

    So I have a BLI Blueline SD7, this is one of the ones that comes set up for DC, but with a factory sound decoder. I installed a LokSound DCC decoder, the model that was recommended by BLI. It just plugged in, no soldering. My layout is DCC only (Digitrax) so I don't have any way to test the...
  4. G

    Best online dealer for reservations?

    Anybody else? Caboose has been around forever and has a great rep, but their prices aren't that low and their website is minimalist.
  5. G

    Best online dealer for reservations?

    Well, I guess I'm going to have to get on this "reservations" bandwagon. So far I've mostly been buying from train shows, that auction site, and MB Klein for new stuff. But MBK doesn't seem to "do" reservations. Who can I use that lists the upcoming stuff online, and has good service and...
  6. G

    Model RRs that have had commercial freight cars offered?

    I'm trying to build a little collection of freight cars that are lettered for model railroads. To facilitate that, I'd like some help building a list of model railroads that have had their custom roadname cars offered commercially. Two examples off the top of my head are the Ohio Southern and...
  7. G

    Do you guys ever tally up total cost of your layout?

    I just got back in the hobby after many years away. Starting from scratch in HO. I've hit it hard over the last 3 months, and have trains running on a 5x15' layout. So I have a current up close and personal view of this question. :) I think that if you count everything, and it's decent...
  8. G

    Road bed for hand laid track

    I'm a little confused. How do you use glue if you're hand-laying? Doesn't hand-laying pretty much require spiking?
  9. G

    Buying a Train Set without the Train?

    In N scale, Kato makes not only the track set without the train, but the train set without the track. I bought a setup like that a year or so ago when I was trying to decide which scale to go with. It was very nice to be able to get quality stuff, and yet be able to go home and plug it...
  10. G

    Converting older brass engines to DCC - how tough?

    Thanks all for the replies.
  11. G

    Converting older brass engines to DCC - how tough?

    I'm re-entering the hobby after many years. I've seen the features and detail on the newer plastic and hybrid steamers, and they are very impressive. But I've also noted that the price on older brass has fallen quite a bit (often with condition problems), and a lot of prototypes are available...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top