Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. G

    How to test your track...?

    To answer Rico's question, I have about 95% nickle-silver track and 5% brass track that I've cleaned up really well. If I get the RRampmeter, what reading should I be looking for...? I'm new at all this......
  2. G

    How to test your track...?

    Important Details..... Sorry, I left out the most important detail. I am running DCC, with a Digitrax DCS50 and do not have any kind of circuit breaker installed. My Digitrax is wired straight to my bus wires..... Where can I purchase a basic circuit breaker for my setup......?
  3. G

    How to test your track...?

    How do you test your trackwork to make sure it's getting the best power (volts/amps/watts/ohms...??) possible....? What kind of tool do you use, and what readings should I be looking for...? I fear my trackwork is a little suspect when I get a very dim headlight on my engine, and the engines...
  4. G

    Real wood for scenery

    Thank you everyone for your great suggestions.....! Now I can clean up the limbs, twigs, and leaves from my backyard and put them to productive use in my layout. Cleaning the backyard won't be just a chore anymore......it'll be a treasure hunt....!!
  5. G

    Real wood for scenery

    Can you use real wood (branches, twigs, etc.) as well as real dirt for scenery.......? If so, what do you have to do to prepare it so that it will last.......? Are there any downsides to using natural scenery......? Thanks.......
  6. G

    Digitrax DCS50 Issue

    Thank you CSX Robert......that's exactly what happened. I did not release (I didn't know I had to....but I do now...!) engine 1 from the Jump Throttle before trying to run it again from the DCS console. Yesterday I disconnected the Jump Throttle and ran all 4 trains from the DCS console for...
  7. G

    Digitrax DCS50 Issue

    I have a DCS50 and I have 4 locos assigned 1,2,3,and 4. I also did a jump connection with an older smooth DC controller, and assigned loco 1 to it for my grandson. I was playing around with the trains today, and had engine# 4 going around the track while running engine#3 in a small yard...
  8. G

    Jump Ports on Zephyr DCS50

    I have a Zephyr DCS50 unit, and want to add two older throttles to the Jump Ports. The instruction manual says to connect a wire from the Jump Port to a "Variable DC" connector on the older throttle. Now I have one older throttle that has a "Variable DC" connector clearly marked so I don't...
  9. G

    LocoNet and Zephyr DCS50

    I'm new to the world of DCC, and need to know how to add more than two remote throttles to my Zephyr DCS50 when there are only two LocoNet ports on the back of it....?
  10. G

    Digitrax DCS50 Users Manual Needed

    That's it.....that's the one......!!! Thank you Hamltnblue.......!!
  11. G

    Digitrax DCS50 Users Manual Needed

    I just purchased a used Digitrax DCS 50 Zephyr unit, but it did not come with a user's manual. Does anyone know where I can find one....? There is a link on the Digitrax page but it does not work for some reason. Thanks......
  12. G

    Using Flooring Tile on Plywood...?

    Thank you all.....I've made my decision, and cork it is.....! :)
  13. G

    What gauge wire to use...

    Thank you gentlemen for your good advice.....!
  14. G

    What gauge wire to use...

    Building a new layout - going to be DCC. The benchwork is done and now I am about to start laying the track. What gauge wire should I use for the feeders and the bus...? Thanks....
  15. G

    What is the difference between Wye#'s

    Thanks for the explanations and suggestions....I agree now that I need to use straight turnouts for the siding at the station. It will definitely look more realistic and be easier to align the track correctly......thanks...!
  16. G

    Using Flooring Tile on Plywood...?

    The floor tile is not resilient at all...it's a hard material.....which is what I thought most people like to use in yard areas, like homasote, etc. I know that I will not be using any roadbed in this yard area.....I've seen posts in other forums that say yards are usually pretty flat, with...
  17. G

    Using Flooring Tile on Plywood...?

    Strange question I know, but I have a small yard area....24" by 72"....that seems way too small for me to have to go and buy a 4'x8' piece of Homasote (there is a commercial dealer here in Georgia that carries it by the sheet), so I'm thinking of using some left over vinyl flooring tile and...
  18. G

    What is the difference between Wye#'s

    I am fairly new to building out my own model railroad, and want to use Wye turnouts in order to have the main line split into two lines coming into the depot area, and then converging back into the one main line. What is the difference between all the Wye#'s.....? I see Wye#3, Wye#4, Wye#5...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top