What is the difference between Wye#'s

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Grampy

New Member
I am fairly new to building out my own model railroad, and want to use Wye turnouts in order to have the main line split into two lines coming into the depot area, and then converging back into the one main line. What is the difference between all the Wye#'s.....? I see Wye#3, Wye#4, Wye#5, etc. when trying to order on-line. I am using code 83 HO-Scale track. Thanks...
 
The larger the number, the easier the curve is in the wye. I.E. a #3 would be equal to say a #4 switch, and be a tighter turn then a #4 wye, which is a tighter turn then the #5 wye. I'd stick to a #5 or greater to ensure rolling stock can make it through it.
 
I may understand this wrong so someone please correct me. But, I thought that the #3 frog in a wye will have the same amount of divergence from the center line as a normal #6 turnout. Since the frog is oriented in a way where half of the divergence factor is given to each route instead of all to one and none to the other.

Josh,
Hey just noticed you are back!!! Glad to hear from you again. (didn't mean to hijack the post or anything)
 
Last edited by a moderator:


wye vs. switch numbers

bkpigs is correct. A #3 wye is equivalent to a #6 turnout because the divergence is split between the two legs. A #4 wye is equivalent to a #8, and so on. For a typical wye, the relationship is 2 times.

The larger the number, the gentler the diverging track(s), in general.

For the Original Poster, what you describe would not be typical for a real railroad, they would use straight turnouts for the siding at a station. But of course you can do what you like on your layout.
 
Hi Grampy,
From what you said you wouldn't use ' Y ' switches/turnouts to do that as a ' Y ' will cause
your main line to vere evenly in two different directions and form a big egg in the center if your going to bring them back together again as it seems your planning.

I think what your refering to is a passing track or siding or also called a run around when used in a yard.

Now if your planning on having a station in between the main line when it splits than that might be functional but a bit tricky to get the ' Y ' spaced far enough apart to allow the line to curve back into them at the right angle.

That is where you need to determine how cradually or severly you want the ' Y ' to vere off? Also you'll need to take into account the type of equipment your running and if they will be able to handle the radius or the ' Y '?

Hope this gives you some helpful info.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
bkpigs is correct. A #3 wye is equivalent to a #6 turnout because the divergence is split between the two legs. A #4 wye is equivalent to a #8, and so on. For a typical wye, the relationship is 2 times.

...and the legs of #2 wyes are equal to the diverging side of a #4 switch. :)

IMG_3911-1.jpg
 
Thanks for the explanations and suggestions....I agree now that I need to use straight turnouts for the siding at the station. It will definitely look more realistic and be easier to align the track correctly......thanks...!
 
Thanks for the explanations and suggestions....I agree now that I need to use straight turnouts for the siding at the station. It will definitely look more realistic and be easier to align the track correctly......thanks...!


Your welcome Grampy, I thought I understood what you were refering to.

It was good though that Tooter actually photographed the four Wye's tied together so you could see first hand what would take place when using them.
 
I may understand this wrong so someone please correct me. But, I thought that the #3 frog in a wye will have the same amount of divergence from the center line as a normal #6 turnout. Since the frog is oriented in a way where half of the divergence factor is given to each route instead of all to one and none to the other.

Josh,
Hey just noticed you are back!!! Glad to hear from you again. (didn't mean to hijack the post or anything)
Yuppers, got more time now!

Weird, I've always had that info wrong.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top