ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
C
Love the idea, and the work, I want to do something similar in Z Scale.
-
C
Looking good, I started my first layout recently too, lot's of work but a lot of fun too....
Keep the pics coming.
-
C
These last four are were I am at with it as of today.
First one is the north/west end, just need to ballast some track in the corner and its, done oh and put up the sky wall and a few trees. Got the ore pit mostly done, all that is built from scratch, it's really hard to build a conveyor by...
-
C
The viaduct without the rail and then with the rail, figuring out how to make that rail was an undertaking but it turned out not bad.
The last one is after the table move, I put the narrow end against the wall in order to run the upper main down to the lower main, it actually works, and I can...
-
C
The next four are a big jump, my first attempt at scenery and the viaduct in the early stages. And some overall views.
-
C
I wanted to update everyone with the progress, I also included some pictures from the beginning. Thanks for all the encouragement. I think when I am done I will write a book about what not to do when you are building a layout, I have learned several things...lol The biggest being if you...
-
C
So not knowing much about DC and even less about DCC, since I am in the process of building a layout, my question is if I went to a DCC controller would I need to worry about all the cabs, reversing sections and what not with a DCC system. I don't really know how they work or what they are...
-
C
Thanks Chris, and the second cab is used, I just didn't draw it out, in the large open area of the lower mainline there will be a yard and a town and what not. Just haven't figured that out yet.
-
C
I have one power pack with two cab controlls on it. My thought was to run cab #1 on the upper main, lower main, branch line and wye, the wye is already wired up and working well so that part is good. The big question is what happens when I isolate the branch section, will that have to have the...
-
C
It is DC and I hadn't thought about signals, but that would be handy wouldn't it.
-
C
Ok so now I am on to the upper layout and hooking the upper and lower together.
What I would like to happen is have both the upper and lower run on the same controller.
What I think I need to do is isolate the branch section that hooks the two together. and run all three thru a track...
-
C
Thats what I was thinking I only need two inches of height and I can get a little bit of that with a straight incline also. I need to get some peices cut and built and see I guess.
-
-
C
What is the tightest radius you can do for an N scale helix?
-
C
oh I need to weather the viaduct, any suggestions on that I have never weathered anything before.
-
C
Thanks guys I appreciate that. I think I am happy with it too, now that I finally figured out it's reason for being. Thats where I was stuck, i couldn't figure out why it was there because it does look cool just needed a reason to be. So here's what i am gonna do, the side that is now against...
-
C
Ok so I got the viaduct done, I don't know if I like it, or if it's stupid, or if it works, what do you guys think.....
-
C
That's a grand idea, never even occurred to me run outside the layout and that would solve all my problems.
-
C
Thank you, I wanted at least four tracks running around cause it just looks cool.
That piece that you see hanging down will eventually be on a trestle and cross over the lower track, I put it there to just to visualize it. Yes it is up against the wall on the back side, but it's just set there...
-
C
hmmm I think raising the lower level would gain me the most, but even then I could only gain around 2", but thats still better then 5". I was just figuring up a helix and the average overal width is 30" that puts it way into my rail yard space in the upper right corner of the pick.
My final...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)