N Scale Coffee Table Design. Help!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Mike_Arnold

Newbie Modeler
So I'm going through with a coffee table layout base on N Scale and I need some suggestions on how to go about building this table. Here's the track plan I'm going with, so it's going to be 2' x 4 1/3'.

granny-kay-bonnie.gif


gmr2002.jpg


I'm going to run BNSF equipment and have it based as either running coal hoppers or just manifest freight with a grain tower and grain hoppers on the sidings.

I need help on a design for the table though, I have no idea how I want to go about building it or designing it. I still want it to look tasteful, and I'll end up staining it.

If someone could through out suggestions, or even your own design based on my needs I'd be more than grateful. I'll post some pictures of stuff I've already bought later on today.

56lgqq3.jpg


Best regards,
Mike
 
Mark,

Model Railroader magazine published a series of artlcles on the "East Glasstop" IIRC in the late 70's. I think the articles have been reprinted with some of the other project layouts. Try checking the Model Railroader and/or Kalmback websites.

Glenn
 
Mark,

Model Railroader magazine published a series of artlcles on the "East Glasstop" IIRC in the late 70's. I think the articles have been reprinted with some of the other project layouts. Try checking the Model Railroader and/or Kalmback websites.

Glenn

Mike, not Mark. I checked up and down google, and failed to find anything on it. I'm going to just hit up Home Depot either tomorrow to Tuesday and just go in by the seat of my pants and make a table of some sort. Trains.com has an absolutely horrible search engine, not to mention you have to be subscribed to their magazines to get any useful information from what you did manage to find.

Here are some other pictures.

FBeDnj3.jpg

7VUBrL8.jpg


What track I have at the moment, going to hate buying the turnouts at $27 a piece.

vKnwLCi.jpg

gBeaWj3.jpg

q0Z9cFJ.jpg


Scale comparison!

8wLN9r6.jpg


Best regards,
Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I've been wanting to build a coffee table layout for years. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

Have you considered using smaller equipment? A six axle locomotive will make the layout feel even smaller than it is. Something like an SW1200 or RS-2 might look really good. And smaller cars too, like 40' box cars and such.
 
If I ever get around to making a coffee table layout my plan is to start with a prefab table. I've seen quite a few options but this one is the first that had a reasonable amount of depth to it.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=25587353

But the legs are dumb.

From IKEA there are two similar and what appear to be EXCELLENT options.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20173066/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50087072/

And though not necessarily "cheap", they seem to be really good for this sort of project.
 
I've been wanting to build a coffee table layout for years. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

Have you considered using smaller equipment? A six axle locomotive will make the layout feel even smaller than it is. Something like an SW1200 or RS-2 might look really good. And smaller cars too, like 40' box cars and such.

I did before I even thought about the layout, originally there were going to be two trains, and it was going to be based on suburbia chicago with a metra and bnsf manifest freight going through a small town, but I changed my mind and wanted heavier equipment because that is what I like. It's going to be in a coffee table for show, not really for operations or running with friends. So I'm going to stick with the ACe and probably get some coal porters or grain hoppers to go along with it. Also, I like the ability to build my own table because I can make it to my dimension, no something IKEA gives me for $250. Although I do appreciate the suggestion.
 
I bought some wood today at Home Depot. Not going to give away the design just yet. I'll post updates as the build moves along. Don't really have a free day until Friday but I'll try and sneak some work in this week.

dHSQ6tg.jpg


Best regards,
Mike
 
Update

u0FJai4.jpg

oUXa8oY.jpg

RcpRnqL.jpg

6tQh6gn.jpg


Tomorrow I'm going to secure the track to the foam, install the wiring, and possibly get the central hill started.

Best regards,
Mike
 


Some more photos.
7OpKmBY.jpg


I found some old brake line sitting around the garage, decided they looked good as run off sewage pipes.

o6MMjRj.jpg

NKocufW.jpg

vWHbgpN.jpg


And of course a light layer of Senic ground foam.

SrWr7Hg.jpg


I get paid Thursday, so I will pick up the rest of my DPDT Momentary switches from the hobby store later this week and do a post about wiring.

Best regards,
Mike
 
Got the Switch Panel made up.

YORgvV9.jpg


mLi56KY.jpg


Going to make a wiring harness for it all tonight, and I'll get some pictures up of it all later today.

Also, this thread doesn't have much traction in this forum, so I suppose if a mod could move it to the N Scale forum people would probably rather read it there.

Best regards,
Mike
 
It's been a while, but work has continued! The legs are installed, along with a few buildings being added and some ground cover is down.

ETP3Urr.jpg

2SzEdID.jpg

OWoUJPp.jpg

ZYFNF0w.jpg

WGr3FUh.jpg

neupbkt.jpg

vOkKB9n.jpg

Nl5UsPq.jpg

K1u9Lkh.jpg


It still has along way to go but finally seeing some progress!
 
It looks great. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I do have a suggestion. At the normal viewing angle, it will be impossible to create a convincing backdrop on the four interior walls of the table. So, I suggest lining the inside of the table with mirrors. It solves the backdrop problem, looks nice, and creates the appearance of an extended countryside and an extended water surface. There are two drawbacks. One is that the edge of the mirror will be plainly visible, and the other, of course, is that it duplicates everything in the scene, including the train and the track. While I would not want that on a regular layout, I think it actually adds interest on a coffee table layout like this.
 
I was just thinking the exact same thing cav. I think that would be so cool.

Your coffee table is looking great so far! Good job!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top