Need Some Opinions

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


cav

New Member
Ok, here's a picture of my first layout, it's not really based on anything but what I can envision. My current dilema is that I think I want to be able to run the top outside track down and around somewhere on the bottom then back up. I can think of two ways to do this with a helix in the upper right hand corner, or with an incline somewhere or maybe just leave it alone, I just don't know.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.
 
It looks like a lot of elevation change. A helix would give you less of a grade in this situation.

Steve
 
Yeah it's five inches, and at 2% I would need at least 16 feet for the climb, could cut that in half at 4%, but still thats a big climb and being new to this I don't know if N scale can climb a 4% grade. I may just leave it alone and see what happens. The viaduct is 68 feet tall with 200 foot spans, which I kinda modeled after the Lakwanna one in Penn, but in retrospect it just kinda mucks things up, has been fun building though and finally figured out how to make the guard rails look good. Oh well live and learn.
 


Just a thought, could you lower the bottom of the viaduct below the elevation of your 'lower level?' (Or raise your lower level and cut a valley for the viaduct and whatever it crosses)
 
hmmm I think raising the lower level would gain me the most, but even then I could only gain around 2", but thats still better then 5". I was just figuring up a helix and the average overal width is 30" that puts it way into my rail yard space in the upper right corner of the pick.

My final thought would be to build a trestle starting where that peice of track is crossing the cliff, then winding it along the hillside all the way down to the right hand corner, I could get it down, then have to make a loop or something to come back up.
 
I've gotta say, I like the concept of your layout. Looks interesting and busy. You've got a track on a downgrade at the left end with a bit that's just hanging over the lower track. Are you intending to have that enter a tunnel through the bluff also? Is that side of the layout up against the wall, or do you have access along that side?
 
Thank you, I wanted at least four tracks running around cause it just looks cool.

That piece that you see hanging down will eventually be on a trestle and cross over the lower track, I put it there to just to visualize it. Yes it is up against the wall on the back side, but it's just set there for now, the entire table can move. I did make it a little to tall though, I didn't want to be bent over all the time, but now working in some areas I have to be on a step ladder and still bend over.
 
Thank you, I wanted at least four tracks running around cause it just looks cool.

That piece that you see hanging down will eventually be on a trestle and cross over the lower track, I put it there to just to visualize it. Yes it is up against the wall on the back side, but it's just set there for now, the entire table can move. I did make it a little to tall though, I didn't want to be bent over all the time, but now working in some areas I have to be on a step ladder and still bend over.

If you are able to move the table away from the wall (even just enough for access), I was going to suggest starting your up/down grade at the point where the track goes over that trestle, tunnel through to the back of the layout and continue your grade along that side. The track wouldn't of course be visible but would at least be accessible in case of derailment etc. You could then bring it down around the corner and work it in alongside the lower table to get the connection between both that you seek.
 
If you are able to move the table away from the wall (even just enough for access), I was going to suggest starting your up/down grade at the point where the track goes over that trestle, tunnel through to the back of the layout and continue your grade along that side. The track wouldn't of course be visible but would at least be accessible in case of derailment etc. You could then bring it down around the corner and work it in alongside the lower table to get the connection between both that you seek.

That's a grand idea, never even occurred to me run outside the layout and that would solve all my problems.
 
Ok so I got the viaduct done, I don't know if I like it, or if it's stupid, or if it works, what do you guys think.....
 


I think it's kind of neat................do you have a plausible reason for it being there? That's probably the most important part of the scenery..........the reason for being.;) Remember, it's your layout, so what you like is the biggest reason for doing something a particular way.
 
I think it looks quite spectacular. Personally, I like a bridge that crosses over a yard or where a lot of other trackwork passes underneath.
 
Thanks guys I appreciate that. I think I am happy with it too, now that I finally figured out it's reason for being. Thats where I was stuck, i couldn't figure out why it was there because it does look cool just needed a reason to be. So here's what i am gonna do, the side that is now against the wall I am going to turn and take off the wall and turn that entire 8 foot into mountain side, so where the viaduct ends will actually become mountains, and the upper line will be running along a cliff face. Then I can put a tunnel thru the cliff face somewhere run it down a helix, and out thru the face again, just below the upper rail and drop it into the yard, then onto the mainline, so I think I can have one continous mainline from top to bottom.

Sounds easy enough right :-)
 
oh I need to weather the viaduct, any suggestions on that I have never weathered anything before.
 
Concrete viaducts are things of beauty. Curved concrete viaducts, over yards are 'of the gods.' Maybe I grew up to close to the Lackawanna, or visited the Manyunk area of Philly to much, as a kid.....
 
I wanted to update everyone with the progress, I also included some pictures from the beginning. Thanks for all the encouragement. I think when I am done I will write a book about what not to do when you are building a layout, I have learned several things...lol The biggest being if you don't want to spend alot of time bending over to play with your trains don't build your table higher, because when you are working on it you just end up standing on a step ladder bent over anyway...

In the begining there was a an idea, the first four.
 
The next four are a big jump, my first attempt at scenery and the viaduct in the early stages. And some overall views.
 
The viaduct without the rail and then with the rail, figuring out how to make that rail was an undertaking but it turned out not bad.

The last one is after the table move, I put the narrow end against the wall in order to run the upper main down to the lower main, it actually works, and I can change directions with the wye, go figure...
 


These last four are were I am at with it as of today.

First one is the north/west end, just need to ballast some track in the corner and its, done oh and put up the sky wall and a few trees. Got the ore pit mostly done, all that is built from scratch, it's really hard to build a conveyor by hand, took my 4 tries. That blue foam is where the line will actually run, up a bit and thru the mountains. There will be a passenger train on the lower part. Also got the spring and pond started, got just a touch to much blue in it so I am getting that covered up with more green.

Second one is just an overall view, still a ton to do but it's getting there

and the last is my failed attempt at weathering concrete, if anyone has any input or ideas on how to do that I am all ears, cause right now I am stuck.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top