Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. G

    The Ultimate Swicthing Yard

    Stein - I wasn't "calling you out" or "had a go" at you, rather just perplexed at what I said to fire you up so. If we were discussing American politics, I would expect some heat (I thought it was the mention of Ann Rand's book), but model railroading? LOL. Look, I see you have many followers...
  2. G

    The Ultimate Swicthing Yard

    Thank you doc0rnic, first directly usable sugesstion so far. I get it, decouple the cars at the front of the yard, and let gravity roll the cars through the switches to its final intended sidings. This is brillant, thank you, Allan PS is there a track plan on the Madan yard I could get a copy of?
  3. G

    The Ultimate Swicthing Yard

    Holy smokes StienJr, who got your shorts in a bunch this morning? It's obvious you had misread my post as the only time I used "realistic" was in the layout of the yard. All I wanted to know was there a methodology or philosphy to build a yard so I can do the operations I am looking to do...
  4. G

    The Ultimate Swicthing Yard

    The room is my attic, and yes, there is about 12" between the stairs and wall. There is a 4 ft high wall surrounding the stairs on both sides. While the ceiling is about 12 ft high, it slopes down to the floor over the layout table so I was going to build the table 2.5 ft high and either have...
  5. G

    How to wire....?

    Ok, so you want to know about relays. This technology is pretty simple. For your application, you want to buy a "Normally Open Time delayed Relay". Once power is applied to the relay, the relay waits 5 seconds or so and flips a switch connecting what ever you want. So in your application, let's...
  6. G

    The Ultimate Swicthing Yard

    Room size is 30' x 22', so optimal table size may be 25' x 6'. I was thinking of having a double main line circle the enitre room with some elevation changes as the entrance to the room is a staircase. I'll draw up a rough picture and post it.
  7. G

    Stupid Newbie Bachmann EZ Track DCC questions

    Thank you, you have been very informative. But I am sure I will be reading your post several times more before I absorb it all lol. Seems that there are still limitations and I am surprised that Bachmann doesn't have a decoupling track, half the fun of model railroading. While I am...
  8. G

    The Ultimate Swicthing Yard

    Now that I have you attention :D, I am looking for suggestions. What comprises the ultimate swicthing yard? I have had an idea of developing a game of sorts for model railroading for the past 30 years, and now with DCC it becomes very possible. Basically it entails having two yards, controlled...
  9. G

    How to wire....?

    Lionel was very clever in developing simple electrical devices to make things happen on a layout back in the 1940's and 50's. Before cheap transistors. The Station you speak of is Accessory Number 132. They used a bi metalic strip of metal and nichrome wire. The station track is insulated...
  10. G

    Stupid Newbie Bachmann EZ Track DCC questions

    Hello all, not so much as a newbie but rather old school. Have been collecting Lionels since the 70's (60's if you count my first Christmas set) and even bought tons of the first generation command control Marklins in the 80's in Europe. But really had no time to set up more than a temporary...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top