Hello all, not so much as a newbie but rather old school. Have been collecting Lionels since the 70's (60's if you count my first Christmas set) and even bought tons of the first generation command control Marklins in the 80's in Europe. But really had no time to set up more than a temporary layout from time to time. Now I am working in Shanghai and have lots of down time. Found that while everything cool is made here, it is almost impossible to buy. Not sure if there is no interest or some legal tax thing. But I did source out a Bachmann factory store. Despite being a Bachmann owned store, they have very few items in stock. Mostly HO scale, vertually no N scale, and little in the way of turnouts and speciality track in any scale. I wanted to buy a N scale DCC set and track, but the clerk told me that she had not even seen that yet. So I ended up picking up the Digital Commander set with a F3 and GP40 for about $150 USD, and a EZ track expander set for about $60.00. No real bargain.
Now that the introductions are out of the way, I set up the track and was pretty happy with the purchase. It ran well, easy to program, and far better than my recollections of the Bachmann trains in the 80's. I know the "Digital Commander" will severly limit an Empire, as I believe it will only handle 3 locos and I assume only 6 switches as the 10th button is for DC operations? Not sure. But here are my questions:
Now that the introductions are out of the way, I set up the track and was pretty happy with the purchase. It ran well, easy to program, and far better than my recollections of the Bachmann trains in the 80's. I know the "Digital Commander" will severly limit an Empire, as I believe it will only handle 3 locos and I assume only 6 switches as the 10th button is for DC operations? Not sure. But here are my questions:
- Is it possible to switch multiple turnouts with one address button? This way I could expand the number of turn outs on the layout.
- Does Bachmann make a double cross over DCC EZ track so I can avoid using four seperate turnouts.
- Does Bachmann make a decoupler EZ Track, doesn't have to be DCC.
- Is it possible to adapt other manufacturers track with the Bachmann set up. i.e. Using an Atlas double cross over and what do I need to make the converstion?
- Is it possible to convert a Bachmann EZ track Remote turn out to DCC and if so, what do I need?
