Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. Dudepants

    Hitting a wall

    There is a door I'd like to still access, I'll look into a lift out bridge, thanks timlange3. I'll post up a rough plan once I do some more measuring, etc.
  2. Dudepants

    Hitting a wall

    Excellent, thanks Jeff. Lots of good suggestions/info here guys! It's funny, when I calculate out a shelf style layout, I'm getting WAY longer runs of track than I have with my 4x8. I'm excited about that!
  3. Dudepants

    Hitting a wall

    Yeah, I could expand, that would be a less drastic fix. Thanks for the pointer.
  4. Dudepants

    Hitting a wall

    Ah, that is awesome, thank you Motley. Turns out I have about a 9'x6'6" area. I'll play with this a bit, looks like it would already give me a much bigger run than a 4x8 layout.
  5. Dudepants

    Hitting a wall

    So I built pretty simple 4x8 layout, mostly to get my feet wet. Well, I found with just a few spurs and two lines it's not going to be all that exciting. Now I'm rethinking the area I've got to work with. It's a section of our basement that's about 6x8 (maybe 10ish) feet, really the only spot...
  6. Dudepants

    Nembie here - first track layout

    Awesome, thanks LedZep, really appreciate the guidance. I'll check out that thread today for sure.
  7. Dudepants

    Nembie here - first track layout

    What I meant was it will be inspired by scenery of the 50s/60s around the Albany line. I'm leaning towards a more free hand (not 100% based on actual) set up. Yes, the emphasis would more modeling of scenery. Thanks for the tips on narrowing my focus and considering where the expansion will...
  8. Dudepants

    Nembie here - first track layout

    Ok, I'm going to give this one a try. I copied it from a site, looks like I'd be able to expand on it a bit too in the future. What do you think of this? Good for someone like me that hasn't put one together before?
  9. Dudepants

    Nembie here - first track layout

    Thanks for the tips gents. I was up late last night and I think I might rethink the 4x8 plan. I might move to something else, going to measure it out tonight after work.
  10. Dudepants

    Nembie here - first track layout

    So, I'm giving it a go and starting with a basic track layout. The idea is to do less Op, more modeling. Not 100% if I will model after something, but I'd like it to at least be inspired by the 50s/60s New York Central line (maybe a section of the Albany line since that's where I grew up)...
  11. Dudepants

    New from Minneapolis

    Thanks a bunch guys, really excited about it. Looks like I have a 4x8' space with room to expand another 4x8'.
  12. Dudepants

    New from Minneapolis

    Great, thanks again for the guidance, I'll get going on some research!
  13. Dudepants

    New from Minneapolis

    Awesome, thanks CJ! Is there a particular book/mag you would recommend? Looks like there's a TON of great info on this forum too.
  14. Dudepants

    New from Minneapolis

    Hi all, Just joined the forum! Thought it'd be a good resource to find info on getting into trains. I was just at Thanksgiving at my in-laws house and my father in-law had a HO set up (real simple couple of loops) and I was hooked instantly. Reminds me of my dads old O set that he and I...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top