Hitting a wall

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Dudepants

Member
So I built pretty simple 4x8 layout, mostly to get my feet wet. Well, I found with just a few spurs and two lines it's not going to be all that exciting. Now I'm rethinking the area I've got to work with. It's a section of our basement that's about 6x8 (maybe 10ish) feet, really the only spot to build where my wife won't kill me, ha! Anyway, I'm thinking I should go to a shelf style layout, but I'd still like to get some curves in there so i can still run an uninterrupted mainline. My question is, can someone point me to some sample plans I might get some inspiration from? Also, how can i maintain 22" curves in a small space? Sorry for the new kid questions, and thanks for your help. Space definitely can be a limiting factor, but I gotta say, I'm enjoying it anyway.
 
Have you looked at the HOG (Heart of Georgia) layout? It very popular for that type of space, you operate from the middle and allows for broader curves.

Heart%2Bof%2BGeorgia%2BHOG%2BLayout%2BRev%2B511.jpg
 
Ah, that is awesome, thank you Motley. Turns out I have about a 9'x6'6" area. I'll play with this a bit, looks like it would already give me a much bigger run than a 4x8 layout.
 


If you've got more space than 4x8, how about upsizing a plan you like, only with larger curves? Nothing wrong with HOG layout, just trying to offer an alternative.
 
Excellent, thanks Jeff. Lots of good suggestions/info here guys! It's funny, when I calculate out a shelf style layout, I'm getting WAY longer runs of track than I have with my 4x8. I'm excited about that!
 
Yes, a shelf railroad does have several advantages to a 4'x8'. Shorter reaches, larger turn radius, use the same amount of lumber, and if high enough, allows furniture against the wall under the railroad. Use narrow swing or lift out bridges for doors and windows that cannot be blocked.
 
There is a door I'd like to still access, I'll look into a lift out bridge, thanks timlange3. I'll post up a rough plan once I do some more measuring, etc.
 
I have one recommendation. Buy a copy of John Armstrong's "Trackplanning for Realistic Operation". It's available from Kalmbach Publishing, The "Model Railroader" folks, and is considered the Bible of trackplanning. In it he explains the principles and procedures for developing a trackplan that you'll be proud of for years. It's a must have for anyone planning their own layout.
 


I used to have that book somewhere. It is a great book. If you decide to buy it, go through the forum bookstore here and the forum gets a kickback from Amazon.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top