ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
Hey gang,
Bought a Con Cor n scale caboose off of fleabay that has rapido style couplers mounted to the body. I've replaced the style mounted to the trucks with Micro Trains couplers but not the body before. Any tips?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
For sure montanan! by the way, I'm LOVING my switch from HO to N! :D
-
Thanks guys, really appreciate the thoughts on all of this. I did make changes to my plans and have layed out most of my track (just waiting on some insulated joiners to finish). I changed the sidings a bit and removed the double crossover to simplify (for now). Looking at the track i do have...
-
Ah, thanks for the thoughts Iron Horseman, I think that makes sense to me. I've only just started to lay some track and I think I'll make some changes. Do you think it would add some interest by having the industry sidings facing opposite directions?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Looks awesome! I've got one started too that looks similar to yours. Post lots of pics please!! ;-)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Thanks RBMNFan, really appreciate it and you haven't discouraged me from N-scale! ha! :p I've almost got my benchwork completed and have settled on heavily freelancing the Soo line in Minnesota. I'll have a couple industries (Hamms beer for one, adapting a factory kit to look like the old Hamms...
-
Thanks for the reply RBMNFan, that gives me a lot to think about. Most of what I like about trains is watching them. That's why I wanted to concentrate on scenery and modeling around my layout rather than as much operations. I actually started building the frame work for the benchwork this week...
-
Great video DJ, love the work you did on the wall along the road and the pump house at the end of the video. Really good looking stuff!
-
Ah thanks Hawkesburytrain, I wouldn't have even thought of that. Since I'll have access to all sides (except for the back side) do you think I would be ok? I have rather long arms. Maybe I'll tape out the benchwork on the floor first to see how that works.
-
revised it a little:
overall dimensions are 10' x 4', left and right sides are 30" wide, center section is 20" wide. Top flat section will be butted up to a wall.
-
Hey Gents,
Thoughts on the track plan below? Go easy on me, I'm a beginner, ha! Here's what I know:
- Freelance rail
- N scale
- smallest curve is 13"
- Planning on using Peco flex track
- Want two industries and a loop for watching (I like watching, ha!)
Any input you have is greatly...
-
Got some really good info from Burlington Bob I thought I'd share for other new guys like me:
Hi, Brian and congratulations on the new baby!
The best advice I could give you is to make your curves as big a radius as possible and try to stick to #7 switches (turnouts) or greater on your...
-
Hey Iron Horseman,
Thanks for jumping in!
I'm thinking of doing a donut or dog bone style layout with one side butting up to a wall (12' stretch). I've had pretty good luck keeping to no smaller than 13" radius using SCARM, so thanks for giving that info. I'll try and keep to 15 - 16 with a...
-
Awesome, thanks again. I will message Bob!
-
Awesome, thanks for the help Montanan, I will definitely use flex. I used Peco with my HO layout so I'll probably stick with that brand. Can you elaborate on how tight of a radius you could run with N scale using flex track that operated well and looked good? Would 8" - 10" be way too short?
-
Hey N scale friends,
As I posted in my re-introduction thread, I’m getting back into modeling after about 1.5 year hiatus (move, new baby). I’ve also decided based on the room available to me that N scale would be a better fit. I’m not looking at prototyping any particular railroad, more of an...
-
Hi Folks,
Been without a layout since my wife and I moved a year ago and had our second kid. Life just got pretty busy you could say! Well, I had a HO layout at our old place and even though I have more room for a layout in our new place, I'm looking to start an N scale set up. I'll be digging...
-
Awesome, thanks for the pointers David. I think I'll start doing that tonight.
-
Ok, that totally helped, cutting rail is much easier with your technique Wombat. Also, i was actually able to slide the rail back through the spikes pretty darn easy once I sat down and took my time. I'm on my way now!
One follow up question: While snipping railroad ties to join two pieces, it...
-
Ah, thanks for the pointers guys, much appreciated. Wombat, I'm definitely going to use your advice so I won't have to do this again, super annoying to get the rails back under the spikes! Ha!
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)