Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. NIKO_SUAV3

    Need a locomotive

    I personally own a Santa Fe GP9 from Athearn Genesis and find it to be a rather nice model and have had zero issues other than it being fairly crowded under the shell. Only reason I say this is if you buy the DC version, it can be a little tricky to add sound and squeeze in a speaker. I ended up...
  2. NIKO_SUAV3

    Opinions on Intermountain Products?

    In the Spirit or sharing thoughts and feedback on manufacturers, I thought Id share that I just had a great interaction with Athearn. I stupidly lost the coupler box one of my locomotives during some upgrades I was making, so I decided to call in today in order to find out if they carry the...
  3. NIKO_SUAV3

    How do you quit second-guessing your track plan?

    This was certainly an interesting read, I too find myself in the planning stages with the inability to commit to anything. To this point I have been tinkering with sectional track so it is fairly easy to "modify' my layout... My problem is that I still have little idea as to what one looks for...
  4. NIKO_SUAV3

    Opinions on Intermountain Products?

    You end up winning that loco on the Bay? I still havent really had the time to run them around the track too much, but I still they they were pretty goof value for me being a noobie to this. I think they have superior detail to the Athearn RTR version of the same engine, and comes with DCC...
  5. NIKO_SUAV3

    Opinions on Intermountain Products?

    That's where I got mine ha. Snagged 3 for around $60 each. I haven't run them around the track too much but from what I can tell they are pretty solid units. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. NIKO_SUAV3

    Opinions on Intermountain Products?

    good news, I am officially 1 for 3 on receiving a fully intact SD40-2 from inter mountain....
  7. NIKO_SUAV3

    Opinions on Intermountain Products?

    I agree with that as well, Like I said Ive always had great luck with the Athearn Genesis line, and these are my first two Intermountain models so who know maybe I'm just unlucky. I did roll the dice and order one more Intermountain SD40-2 this time in BN paint, so we will see what the results...
  8. NIKO_SUAV3

    Opinions on Intermountain Products?

    Yea, just got in touch with them, and they will either send me replacement parts or I can send in the locomotives and they will correct the issues and mail them back....Now I have to decide...
  9. NIKO_SUAV3

    Opinions on Intermountain Products?

    Hello Eveyone, I just had a general question, I recently purchased some SD40-2s from Intermountain and received both with each arriving with something broken. Now these are the first two non-Athearn/Genesis locomotives I've purchased and have to say I am rather disappointed. Is this par for...
  10. NIKO_SUAV3

    DCC troubles on an Athearn SW1500

    Sad that some people these days lack any shred of integrity... but to be honest I would have never thought to double check this at any point when buying from a LHS
  11. NIKO_SUAV3

    Paint scheme for B&O GP7

    I actually saw one of these GP7s at the B&O Railroad Museum last week, perhaps a bit more weathered ha. Had a blast checking everything out there. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. NIKO_SUAV3

    RS-3's and GP-7 / 9

    So I can only speak to the Athearn Genesis GP9. I have two Santa Fe Units and I have to say that I am pretty happy with them, though mine don't have a lot of scale miles on them. I bought both of them in the DC version for less than $70 and ended up putting Tsunami decoders in them. I find that...
  13. NIKO_SUAV3

    My First experiment with Sound!

    So went to my local hobby shop and picked up a couple of decoder to throw in my new Genesis units. Opted to go with Tsunami TSU-GN1000 decoders after hearing then (sounded good to me, but then again I'm a sound noob). Well soldered one into one of the GP9s I just snagged and let's just say I'm...
  14. NIKO_SUAV3

    Got some New toys.

    I hope so and look forward to getting them running around the layout. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. NIKO_SUAV3

    Got some New toys.

    Yea, I did notice that and I'm sure I got some of the paint schemes passenger trains and maybe even locos mixed all together on years they were in service. In terms of where I got these no it wasn't on Train World. I paid $70ea for the GP9s and $120 for the F3 A/B set which are not DCC (I kinda...
  16. NIKO_SUAV3

    Got some New toys.

    To be fair I was given a monthly budget by the railroad financier (aka my wife) that I need operate within haha.
  17. NIKO_SUAV3

    Got some New toys.

    Well I think that is two fold, I think I may end up working with shorter radius curves, and I have a tendency to be a little too detail oriented sometimes so mixing eras might bug me haha. Plus it may prove to be an opportunity to finance some more F Units :cool:
  18. NIKO_SUAV3

    Got some New toys.

    Already got something assembled, put together a 10'x10' "U" shaped bench work consisting of 2'x4' modules in the hopes that when I move it will be easier to take down and put back together. I did this because I rent currently and figure to be in a more permanent living situation within the next...
  19. NIKO_SUAV3

    Digitrax SDH166D Sound Decoder: A Review... of sorts...

    Thanks for the Review, I'm in that boat in that I've not had sound in any loco I've ever owned. Currently ive been tinkering with silent decoders for a few months and I'm now starting to get a grasp on them. I ended up installing three DH165AO decoders into the trio of BNSF locos I have and was...
  20. NIKO_SUAV3

    Got some New toys.

    Thanks everyone, Now that I have the time I need to stop putting it off and just get to building myself a layout haha.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top