Need a locomotive

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I am looking for a road type diesel engine from the 40s or 50s.

The GP-7 looks good but I can't seem to find a place that sells them.

Any suggestions as to what engine and where I can get one?

Thanks,
Dale
 


Hi Dale,

I've bought a lot from http://www.modeltrainstuff.com

If you select HO Locos and search on GP7 they have quite a few.

I own a number of Bachmann and Athearn units and they are working well (probably just jinxed myself).


Are you looking for a particular road?

Frederick
 
I am looking for a road type diesel engine from the 40s or 50s.

The GP-7 looks good but I can't seem to find a place that sells them.

Any suggestions as to what engine and where I can get one?
What paint scheme are you looking for? Any thing in particular? Here is a GP9 in Western Pacific colors with DCC and sound for $159 at Train World (click). The only external difference between a GP7 and GP9 is one set of louvers on the battery box.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice.
Looks like I am not going to wait for Atlas to come out.

Which manufacture makes the better engine?
I would like to have the Santa Fe scheme.

Bachmann or Athearn ?


Dale
 
Hi Dale,

I might give a slight edge to the Athearn units.

But I've got quite a few of the Bachmann units with sound.

I don't see a Santa Fe GP7 at ModelTrainStuff.

I'll need to look around.

Frederick
 
Thanks for the advice.
Looks like I am not going to wait for Atlas to come out.

Which manufacture makes the better engine?
I would like to have the Santa Fe scheme.

Bachmann or Athearn ?


Dale

I personally own a Santa Fe GP9 from Athearn Genesis and find it to be a rather nice model and have had zero issues other than it being fairly crowded under the shell. Only reason I say this is if you buy the DC version, it can be a little tricky to add sound and squeeze in a speaker. I ended up adding a Tsunami Decoder with a Sugar Cube speaker in mine and it works pretty well.

IMG_1155.JPG
 


I need to check out the Athearn then.
A couple years ago, I got the same Genesis unit as NIKO-SUAV3 except mine had sound from the factory. Be aware that there is Athearn and there is Athearn Genesis. They are quite different. I don't know if they have run a GP9 in the straight Athearn Brand in a while, but thought I should throw that out.
 
The Santa Fe was Broadway Limited I think.

Railroad name doesn't bother me.
I have a little of everything.

My cars are from the east coast to the west coast and into Canada.
 
Oppps. Guess I will have a "B" unit.

Crap.....

Iron Horse, thank you very much.
I was able to cancel the "B" unit and get the proper one ordered.

I see that I had clicked on the one below the on I wanted.

Glad you caught that.

Dale
 
Last edited by a moderator:






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top