Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    So many years ago, where does the time go? Little brat is just about in high school now. Way too busy for Dad's trains..... I thank the lord for my little boy, he's 3 now, and he is... a miniature me. Anyway, here you go...
  2. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Still planning. I finally sprung the $60 for the full version of anyrail. I can't leave my PC!!!!! I swear if I could run trains on this thing, I might never build another actual layout... lol I've been "cheating" for years with the 50 track limit, building sections at a time. Let me...
  3. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Moved the passenger station to the main line. Shifted around the crossover and turnouts in the right side of the 84" X 36" section a bit to help with space up there. Also leveled out that entire add-on (right hand loop) section so the station would be on level ground, before it was a gentle...
  4. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Lunchtime update, might be getting a bit carried away, at this rate I may need a small second mortgage to afford the track.... :)
  5. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    The risers were not too bad, I marked and cut the incline in 2" foam on a table saw, then notched them every 2" on either side, again with the table saw. This time, I am either going to cookie-cut my luan and raise the track bed that way, or spring for the Woodland Scenics pre-cut 2% grades...
  6. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Logandsawman, if you're bored there are a lot of different videos of that layout up there, mostly just different trains on it. :)
  7. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    And I have no experience with the code 55 Peco turnouts, but having had my share of ez-track, atlas, life like, etc, turnouts, these Peco Code 80's on my current layout have been 100% flawless. Never required even the slightest bit of adjustment. I can literally run the trains all day long...
  8. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    It's only 36" total width at it's widest point, and another thing worth mentioning is the table height will be around 36" high, I operate from a chair and this also lets my young (3 year old) son watch and control the trains as well. I can easily reach across it to grab a derailment, but thank...
  9. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Oh, another important note. The lines in the layout (separating the old HCD section from the part with the river, and the part with the river from the end loop) I intend to keep modular. I have an idea for a removable river, or road, on top of those areas, or an otherwise removable section of...
  10. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Building a new 11' X 7' around the wall layout. Try to keep this short, at first I was at a complete loss for a track plan. I currently have a 36" X 80" HCD with a track plan I came up with that I really love, it's two separate mains, one of which is a twice around figure eight with a...
  11. L

    Found some Space! New Shelf Layout? No more 4X8?

    Well got a little start on the project here. Replaced the tiny little access hatch with a real door. Floor is the next item on the list, so I can walk in there without going through the floor and ending up in the garage. Baby steps.
  12. L

    Found some Space! New Shelf Layout? No more 4X8?

    It's HO scale, that drawing is 11' wide X 7' high, the bridge section is 30" wide and the open area in the middle is 3' X 7' Benchwork is all 24".
  13. L

    Found some Space! New Shelf Layout? No more 4X8?

    Yeah we actually cleared it out for a couple hours to get good measurements and just take a look good look at the space. Then 75% of what came out went back in.... lol. But we have a real attic above the second floor that all that stuff can move to if needed.
  14. L

    Found some Space! New Shelf Layout? No more 4X8?

    So there is a small attic section adjacent (not above) one of my bedrooms that extends above my garage. There is a full height 8' wall along one side, 11 feet long. The roof line drops down directly from this wall at about a 30 degree angle, giving me about 7 feet of usable room at 36"...
  15. L

    Upgrade couplers on Life-Like trains?

    I had a bunch of life like rolling stock and one life like locomotive, I converted them to knuckles using these. They work pretty well. I keep the stuff on the layout because they are from my daughter's first set and she is attached to them. If you like your locos, do not let anyone tell...
  16. L

    Our little HO 4X8....

    Can't attach the .xtc file to the post, so I put it up in my comcast web server, just pull it from there, here's a link. http://home.comcast.net/~steve.huminski/pichost/current_layout_aug_2012.xtc (right click, save as)
  17. L

    Our little HO 4X8....

    To answer the questions above... The Bachmann Nickel Silver EZ Track is far and away superior to the Life Like Steel. I can let this thing sit for months and then just wipe the dust off the rails and go. With the life like it was a constant battle with corrosion, bad contacts, derails...
  18. L

    Redoing our HO 4X8 again, would like some thoughts

    Thanks! I have another version, slightly different, I'll attach it as well. Been looking around for the best deal on the flex track and turnouts, and figures I time this right in the middle of some kind of Atlas Code 83 track crisis.... Where's the best deal right now on Code 83 flex...
  19. L

    Snap switch issue

    Radio shack sells a 25v center tap transformer that works great, I have two of them mounted under my layout. I originally bought them to power a pair of higher-end MRC throttles but since ging DCC they are just used for accessory power. Across the two end taps you get 25v, and if you use an...
  20. L

    Redoing our HO 4X8 again, would like some thoughts

    So I'm getting ready to do a remodel of our 4X8 table. Basically, keeping the benchwork and restarting from the ply up. Do this every year or two it seems, but I want this one to be a little more permanent (3 years? lol) so would like some input. Current layout is NS EZtrack which is...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top