Redoing our HO 4X8 again, would like some thoughts

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


lehrr

Member
So I'm getting ready to do a remodel of our 4X8 table. Basically, keeping the benchwork and restarting from the ply up.

Do this every year or two it seems, but I want this one to be a little more permanent (3 years? lol) so would like some input.

Current layout is NS EZtrack which is nice, but it's time for more realistic track so I can at least attempt some scenery.

Parameters:

#1. Yup, stuck with the sacred sheet. It's using the second half of our master bedroom, and there is no where else to build, so an around the wall while more efficient is out. I have the 4X8 table on casters and operate it in the corner of the room, and simply wheel it out for access to the back side when necessary, this works very very well and everyone is happy.

#2. I'm a simpleton and am extremely happy just watching a couple trains go round and round for hours. I like the sound, like watching them pass each other, etc.

#3. With #2 in mind, I also like to change trains, and keep some different trains ready to roll, perform moderate operations.

So this is the track plan I came up with in Anyrail. It is all atlas code 83 flex and atlas code 83 #6 turnouts.

Two round and round mains with crossovers in both directions.

A third 1/2 around with a long siding on one end that can park two trains.

A couple long-ish sidings for industry / stations, and one shorter siding again for another industry (albeit this one is cramped)

I want to model a couple modest industries, a passenger station, and a small town with a main street. Will be mostly flat.

I am going to use some 2" pink foam board to lay flex track on, which will allow me to cut shallow water features and the like.

So, looking for any ideas or suggestions for scenery layout. Crude drawings on top of my track plan are welcomed.

Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just a couple of thoughts after a quick glance at the drawing:

I'd lose most of the 18-in radius curve on the right side. Keep some for a drill track for the spur.

I'd also change the two spurs on the upper left to come off one longer lead. If you want a couple of spurs that are close to each other and parallel, it makes more sense IMO to have them serve one industry.

I'll wager you'll get more (and probably better) suggestions...
 
Thanks!

I have another version, slightly different, I'll attach it as well.

Been looking around for the best deal on the flex track and turnouts, and figures I time this right in the middle of some kind of Atlas Code 83 track crisis....

Where's the best deal right now on Code 83 flex and turnouts?

Here's another slightly different version, attached. This one uses #4 and #6 turnouts.
 
I have another version, slightly different, I'll attach it as well. This one uses #4 and #6 turnouts.
Good! I was going to ask what the attraction to #6 turnouts was. When one is using 18" radius curves an Atlas #4 is actually larger anyway. I would not use any #6s and save the space.

The direction you are going is looking very similar to Atlas stock plan #10025. http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/pages/10025.htm Take a look at it and see how they avoided at least one of the "long" straight tracks parallel to the edge of the board that looks rather toylike and boring. Of course that is at the cost of at least one complete loop of 22" radius track.

The plan is too symmetrical for me, and all the siding spurs go the same direction. That is for any given train all the sidings are either trailing point or facing point. That makes for rather dull operation.

If the plan is to leave that much of the center of the board empty then for scenery I would consider putting a divider down the center and making two different scenes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top