Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Ironically the locomotive in question is a one year old Kato SD70ACe (the one sitting idle in the video, the SP Heritage). Like you said, anywhere the rails aren't perfect, the front axle on the front truck will walk over the rail. Drives me mad. The 40 year old 2-8-8-2? I could run that...
  2. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Here are a couple shots of the layout as it stands now, most track work is done, I abandoned the reverse loops in the dog leg in favor of a more scenic winding up and over instead. Plus I already had one reverse loop in the main section and could add one for the other direction pretty easily...
  3. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Hi all, Long time no see, but I have been kinda busy. :) Regarding the reverse loop mess above, I decided to make it even more complicated, and lost part of my sanity I'm sure in the process. But using strategically placed isolated sections of track in addition to a pair of Tam Valley dual...
  4. L

    Please help!! Single Slip, non-standard wiring, can't figure it out.

    It's definitely a single slip and that's the problem. A standard crossover is not an issue because the two routes are isolated so it doesn't matter what the polarity is. If I have the slip switch set up for straight through it works fine. If I throw the points to divert the train through the...
  5. L

    Please help!! Single Slip, non-standard wiring, can't figure it out.

    So I have a crossing that I want to change over to a single slip. The problem is that the polarity of the crossing track is opposite from the main track, so when I move the points on the single slip to the diverted route, it creates a reverse loop situation. I for the life of me can't figure...
  6. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Forgive the crude drawing, but here it is. I will be installing a reverse module on the rail that leads from the turnout near the circled short, up and around the top left side of the layout, making the second isolation at the turnout along the top edge. Nice long section for the reverse...
  7. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    track all laid out on the first section, and started soldering in feeder wires when I realized that I had inadvertently created a reverse loop where I didn't know I had one. Anyone else see where???? :) Same layout design as my last layout, which had no reverse loops, only exception is that...
  8. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    I would think there would be a market for an N scale riser, the standard riser is wide enough for a double main in N scale with generous track spacing. I would have gladly paid a slight premium for the convenience of a 1.25" wide riser. Although, with the hot wire cutter, and some super...
  9. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Current progress, got most of the roadbed down on the main 36 x 80 section over the weekend. Going to sand it down and start laying track this week. These pics were about 3/4 of the way through the roadbed, it's all done on this section at this point.
  10. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Here's how I narrowed down the inclines / risers, note that you can't do this until they are glued down to the layout, since cutting them this narrow turns them into a series of disconnected pieces, no longer a single section...
  11. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Order from Klein arrived today :) :) :) Also splurged on a WS hot wire cutter from a local shop :) I had also asked the wife to keep an eye out for a hot wire cutter in her travels shopping today, she picked up a floral foam cutter that looks basically like a soldering iron with a long, 5"...
  12. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Drew out the centerlines on the main 36 x 80 section over the last couple days, made a few minor tweaks here and there. Used the actual peco turnouts and crossovers to mark up the table in the more complicated areas, and just a straightedge and a large cardboard compass everywhere else :) So...
  13. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Got the initial 1/2" base foam caulked down, also drew out a 4" grid to help me with the initial track layout. Have all my track in hand, but the order I placed on modeltrainstuff for the roadbed and inclines is still processing for 3 days now, so can't really do much else until that finally...
  14. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Also didn't hurt that my local Lowes was changing HCD suppliers, so everything they had left in stock I got for 20% off an already reduced price. Helped make my decision for me.
  15. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Little update. Benches are done, again went with HCD bases after considering all options. Built frames for them using 1x3's which are screwed and glued together as well as to the doors. The three sections are separate, held together with carriage bolts. Legs also carriage bolted on, so I...
  16. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    They're on my short list of vendors for my "big spend" when it comes. Want to get as much as I can from one place. Their prices are consistently low. Plus they carry some of my favorite things, the red caboose T-shank knuckle couplers that swap in for the standard rapidos! :)
  17. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    But if you guys have a better place to buy track, I'm listening :)
  18. L

    New Layout, N Scale 11' X 7'. Looking for inspiration and advice.

    Best price I can find on the code 55 for a box of 30 3-foot sections is $149. I need 40 sections so the other 10 I need to buy at $5.50 each plus shipping. I have since pulled the double slip out of my plans, just due to it's $60 cost. I also need the following other pieces: SL-394F, N...
  19. L

    Our little HO 4X8....

    Just revisiting this thread. We have evolved quite far. Transitioned to N scale, a couple different hollow core door layouts. My darling little girl has lost that enthusiasm she once had for the silly choo choo trains, but alas, the great lord above has since blessed us with a son, who may...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top