Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. L

    Preferred DCC Systems

    It depends on what you use your computer for. I use mine for graphic art and web design, for I'm in business for myself. The PCs definitely have a significant advantage for games. However, I do know a lot of people were turned off by Vista due to the bugs, and the fact they couldn't run...
  2. L

    Preferred DCC Systems

    Just so you know - Apple's current line of computers will run Windows. They run on separate partitions and you can go from one to the other using BootCamp. And believe it or not, you can set it up so Windows will be the one that boots automatically on system startup. I have two of them, a Mac...
  3. L

    Preferred DCC Systems

    That's nice to know. But I do think it would be nice to have one set of standards, or at least make them all cross compatible, so everyone could benefit.
  4. L

    Preferred DCC Systems

    Most of the model railroaders I know have Digitrax, and even though it took some time for me to get the hang of my Zephyr, I now really enjoy it. But you know would really be nice? The ability to mix and mingle components (run a NCE throttle on a Digitrax-type layout or use other components on...
  5. L

    Preferred DCC Systems

    Definitely Digitrax. I has taken me awhile to get the hang of using my Zephyr, but I'm much more comfortable now - thanks to Loy Spurlock's fine book "Mastering The Digitrax Zephyr." I also have a UT-4 wired up to the back of the Zephyr, and even though it's non-programmable, for what I'm doing...
  6. L

    Building a 4X6 layout for my son.

    Woodland Scenics makes excellent trees,but to make them look more real, you can, for instance, if you are doing fall trees, sprinkle some other colors besides the ones on the trees, for a bit of added realism. Just use some coarse turf. You can get all kinds of pine trees, too. And at the...
  7. L

    Building a 4X6 layout for my son.

    Not bad for a first layout for a young one. I would very seriously consider using DC until he gets a bit older. By then, the two of you may want a larger layout anyway, so you can get some fun out of DCC.
  8. L

    Problem with Digitrax SFX004 Sound Bug

    I also just got a InterMountain engine with the Quantam sound bug in it, and it set up and works like a dream, even with a Digitrax Zephyr.
  9. L

    Problem with Digitrax SFX004 Sound Bug

    Done that, and it still does it I did it last night, and it still does it when in motion. Does not do it when at rest.
  10. L

    Problem with Digitrax SFX004 Sound Bug

    I've been having some problems with one of my Digitrax SFX004 Sound Bugs. Whenever I try to run my train, and use something like the horn while the train is in motion, the sound bug stops and then starts up again like the train was at rest and going through what it does to run again. It...
  11. L

    Looking for Feedback on my HO Layout Design

    When it comes to track, definitely one should have a plan. And I don't blame you for wanting to get the most out of your layout as you can. I'm of the belief, though, that a little less is definitely more, because to me, it is easier doing a little bit at a time. And as far as the scenery goes...
  12. L

    Looking for Feedback on my HO Layout Design

    I like the second one with the center divider - of course there is an option for a hill or street or some other scenery. The third one I find the curves on the one end to be quite tight, especially if he wants to run passenger cars or larger steam engines. As far as backdrops go, I hope to have...
  13. L

    Looking for Feedback on my HO Layout Design

    Unless one has a real large layout, I like the less is more concept some folks are endorsing. Meaning a little less track and a little more scenery.
  14. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    I know it didn't show up very well, but I did plant one green tree, and may want to plant a couple of more to mix things up a bit. I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion.
  15. L

    first layout for a beginner

    You can find the track plan at the Worlds Greatest Hobby web site at: http://www.greatesthobby.com/wgh/MS_2248.html and download the pdf file Building A Simple Layout
  16. L

    first layout for a beginner

    Visit this web site: http://www.greatesthobby.com/ My model train is based on that track plan featured in the videos and pdf the web site has available. I'm freelancing the scenery for my tastes, but it is a nice beginner set. You can get the Worlds Greatest Hobby Track Plan with Bachman...
  17. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    you may view yet some more pictures of my model train, still in progress but getting closer and closer to the finish line (at least for awhile), at: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=68
  18. L

    How many carloads is realistic for a small mine op?

    I think NH Mike has it just about right. For the lumber company spur on my layout, one siding can handle 3 cars, the other 4, but I use that primarily to move my entire freight train from the spur to the mainline. I even have my water tower and coal tower there in case I want to pull my steam...
  19. L

    New layout

    How about raising the outside track (in your picture, it is at the very bottom) somewhat higher than the other tracks just above it? And how about a slight grade from those inside tracks down to your lines (you have 3 of them on the right-hand side of your picture). That should help you get a...
  20. L

    First time here - my layout, in progress

    I do have an album on this forum, too You may also visit my album on this forum, too, at: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=68




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top