Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. mopacbuff

    Best deals on supplies?

    Wow, guess I don't have it so bad and should stop b1tching. LOL Seriously, I was just frustrated, mostly due to my own lack of planning, gas being $3.11/gallon here (and my truck takes a pretty healthy drink) and now that I found the other LHS, mail ordering should be minimal. I will still...
  2. mopacbuff

    Airbrushes

    Thanks gents, I read through those threads and I'm tempted to try out the HF unit for starters. There's a HF not far from me and I buy other goodies there all the time. Now all I have to find is an external regulator to reduce and control the output pressure from my compressor (the regulator...
  3. mopacbuff

    Airbrushes

    Gents, As I am jumping back into the hobby with both feet, I think I may need an airbrush for painting stuff. Please tell me your thoughts and recommendations on them. Brands/models? Techniques? Best paints to use? I have an air compressor now (I do quite a bit of woodworking), but I...
  4. mopacbuff

    Best deals on supplies?

    Update, not so frustrated now. Whilst looking on Walthers web site, I found another LHS in a nearby town that I wasn't aware of (I don't get out much, lol). It's even a bit closer to me, and it's in an area that I go through quite a bit. I called them and explained the situation. The guy told...
  5. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    flh80, I think I'm gonna try the heated sprue idea. I'll putty everything later as part of the finishing process. MPB
  6. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    flh80, I have some Bondo automotive filler, is this what you're talking about? MPB
  7. mopacbuff

    What glue for gluing foam to plywood?

    Selectors advice is correct, buy whatever LATEX adhesive you can find locally, just make sure it's LATEX. Other materials will melt the foam. I recommended Liquid Nail because I'm a contractor and that's what I use a lot of and am familiar with, but other brands of latex construction adhesive...
  8. mopacbuff

    Best deals on supplies?

    Frustrating. I called the LHS today, with Walthers part numbers in hand, and asked if I could tack some grab irons, lift rings and spark arrestors onto their Walthers order. Which they told me was weekly. I offered to prepay with a debit card and explained my situation of living out past no...
  9. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Back to work Finally got my box of goodies from Walthers (shipping time seemed a bit long to me) and I'm back to work on this project. Using an Xacto #17 chisel blade, the smokestacks disappeared. Still need to sand that area smooth, but I'm going to fill in the hole left by the...
  10. mopacbuff

    What glue for gluing foam to plywood?

    Latex liquid nail. It's a construction adhesive available at home remodeling stores like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Comes in a tube, used with a caulk gun. It's around $3 a tube here, shouldn't take more than 2 tubes for a 4x8. MPB
  11. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    LoudMusic, The area I'm focusing on is kinda southeast to central Missouri, Washington county to be specific. I'm not sure which passenger trains ran on which routes yet, I'm still doing lots of research. Anything interesting or noteworthy I find, I'll post here. I am very interested in...
  12. mopacbuff

    Unusual and interesting prototype(s)

    Gents, While going about my continuing research into Missouri Pacific RR operations in and around Potosi, Washington county, Missouri, I have stumbled upon some very interesting railroads of the past that would make for dynamite modeling possibilities. How about mining operations, regular...
  13. mopacbuff

    Athearn handrails and stanchions

    Thanks for the info CJ, I wasn't aware of that situation. As far as eBay, not for me, never. I used to do a LOT of buying and selling on there, got screwed royally by PayPal, cost me $1700.00. Their response was basically tough. I guess their fraud protection leaves a bit to be desired. Now...
  14. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    I looked up those spark arrestors on Walthers.com, not in stock right now, added them to my wish list. As soon as they're available, I'll order them, I think they're close enough to the MoPac parts. I'm waiting on my x-acto chisel blades and some other goodies from Walthers before I can update...
  15. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Stein, Forgot to add, I did try to contact Mr. Ties, to no avail. MPB
  16. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Stein, Thanks for all your help, much of what you post, I haven't turned up in my own research. I'll keep digging, I'm getting more and more inspired! MPB
  17. mopacbuff

    Athearn handrails and stanchions

    Any idea why Walthers and Athearn can't get along? Seems strange to me. I'll check out those caboose hobbies units too. TMLW, Thanks, let me know. MPB
  18. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    My cousin made it to the old depot in Potosi Missouri and took some pics for me, not very good quality since he used his cell phone, but she's still there. Here are 2 other pics that I found online Does that look like a slate roof? I believe the street in the first 3...
  19. mopacbuff

    Athearn handrails and stanchions

    Gents, I'm reworking an older Athearn BB UP GP7 into a MoPac GP7, see here http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21158 The unit is 5-10 years old, was never completely assembled, and in that time the handrails and stanchions have become seperated from their mother (I...
  20. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Here's a ptoto photo of what I'm looking to accomplish with this model. MPB




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top