What glue for gluing foam to plywood?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Prime12

New Member
I am trying to glue a 4x8 insulation foam to my plywood tabletop. The bond doesn't need to be strong but I'd like the foam board to be able to stay put when I move the table or what not.

What can I use? I am thinking about elmers glue / water mix. Would that be too weak?
 


Latex liquid nail. It's a construction adhesive available at home remodeling stores like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Comes in a tube, used with a caulk gun. It's around $3 a tube here, shouldn't take more than 2 tubes for a 4x8.

MPB
 
Latex liquid nail. It's a construction adhesive available at home remodeling stores like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Comes in a tube, used with a caulk gun. It's around $3 a tube here, shouldn't take more than 2 tubes for a 4x8.

MPB

X2 on this. Just did my layout and Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive works great. I found it Walmart for 1.97 a tube in IL.
 
Watered down white glue would be too weak. I used undiluted wood glue. I can tell you, from having ripped it out, it's a surprisingly strong bond.
 
I used wood/carpenter's glue. very permanent, won't harm anything, cleans with water if not dried. Once dry, it is waterproof.
 
I used PL300, The same stuff you are meant to use when bonding layers of the foam, itself, to each other. It may only be my local experience, but Liquid Nails for Projects was quite a bit more expensive than PL300.

Basically, you can, and should, use a cheap acrylic latex adhesive caulk. DAP make some, and there are others. Buy cheap....they all work just as well. Put it on in wavy thin lines and then spread it thin with a metal spatula. Don't forget to clean off that spatula before long!
 
Selectors advice is correct, buy whatever LATEX adhesive you can find locally, just make sure it's LATEX. Other materials will melt the foam. I recommended Liquid Nail because I'm a contractor and that's what I use a lot of and am familiar with, but other brands of latex construction adhesive will work just fine.

MPB
 
Glued foam to a hollow core door with Aileen's Tacky Glue quite awhile ago. No separation or any problems so far. I've also used Alex latex adhesive caulk or similar.
 


I don't use glue. Just use 1 1/4 inch fender washers with drywall screws. Place them every couple of feet and tighter the screws until the washers pull below the surface. Holds great and easy to remove if and when you decide to make a change.
 
I bought some of the cheap $1 white glue. Got three bottles, and it held my styro down to the layout surprisingly well.
Of course, I used some heavy books like a Strong's Concordance to hold the styro down while the glue dried.
 
I don't use glue. Just use 1 1/4 inch fender washers with drywall screws. Place them every couple of feet and tighter the screws until the washers pull below the surface. Holds great and easy to remove if and when you decide to make a change.

Interesting! How do you disguise / hide them?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top