Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. B

    HO Car Derailments

    That's the type of product I was searching for on the Internet. I was only able to find one, priced a little under three dollars. The problem surfaced at check out, almost twelve dollars for S&H; this device weighed nothing that a first-class stamp couldn't handle. I think all these businesses...
  2. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Oil designed safe for plastic The transmission fluid I was going to use, but I was unable to locate a precision dispenser. Persistence paid off, I finally found a synthetic oil product, in a precision dispenser for a reasonable price. It was designed for "slot cars," which are plastic and need...
  3. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Applicator Terrific, thank you that is the kind of "home-made" information I was looking for. When I saw that Atlas's "Loco/track maintenance kit" was $32.95, I thought, "there HAS to be a better way!" What do you use to apply the lubricant in small precise amounts?
  4. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Squeaky Kato SD40 My Kato SD40 started squeaking while running around the layout. I looked Online for a lubricant for plastic, but couldn't find any. What does everyone use to lubricate their locomotives?
  5. B

    Upgrading Turn-out Switch Machines

    First turn-out upgraded I finally received the smaller DP/DT switches I ordered over the Internet. Now having everything I needed I upgraded the "Yard Entrance" turn-out first. 1st photo, by installing a combined 500 ohm resistance in the "swinger" of the DP/DT switch, only one resistance was...
  6. B

    Upgrading Turn-out Switch Machines

    On the same page The Atlas 150-66 switch machines were a HUGH disappointment. Not only didn't they work, but the 30 SP/DT (center off) monetary switches had to be returned for DP/DT ones. If you compare the Atlas to the Tortoise, it's fairly obvious an engineer designed the Tortoise, and a...
  7. B

    Upgrading Turn-out Switch Machines

    Choo-choo label maker The main reason for these turn-out upgrades, is practically all of my derailments are caused by "operator error;" I forget to throw a switch. In the interim, while I'm waiting for my parts to come from the Internet, I found a cool "band aid" for this problem at Walmart...
  8. B

    Steam Locomotives & Old Cars

    I haven't got a clue. This friend of mine sends the coolest attachment with his email. He probably wouldn't even know where it was taken. I told him I got back into my model railroading and two days later he surprised me with these photos. I told him how much I enjoyed them and asked if he had...
  9. B

    Steam Locomotives & Old Cars

    You Can Have Them TOO! If anyone would like a copy of the photos it's simple. Just right click your mouse over EACH photo, one at a time, and select, "Save Picture As........." Another window will open and you choose where on your computer you want to save them. When I first received them, I...
  10. B

    Steam Locomotives & Old Cars

    Steam Locomotives...........continued I saved the best for last! Why doesn't GM make cars like that anymore?
  11. B

    Steam Locomotives & Old Cars

    Steam Locomotive...........continued Here are four more.
  12. B

    Steam Locomotives & Old Cars

    A friend sent me these and I figured EVERYONE at the forum would enjoy them; I certainly did!
  13. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Level showed problem Thank you Trent, the level showed the problem very quickly. Photo number one shows a level track, this is the section of track just before the problem area. Photo number two shows how out of level the problem area was. Photo number three shows the fundamental problem, the...
  14. B

    HO Car Derailments

    I try the easier first Thanks for the two tips, that the kind of input I was hoping for. I will try the level first.
  15. B

    HO Car Derailments

    1 of 6 engines with derailment problem My derailment problems are pretty much over except for one Kato engine. It is one of the two GP35 I purchased last. Like my other equipment it sat without use for a long time. This one engine derails most of the time on the same 18 inch radius curve. The...
  16. B

    Upgrading Turn-out Switch Machines

    I am in the process of gathering the necessary items to upgrade the Atlas 100 turn-outs. My first choice was Atlas's 150-66 under table machine with, DP/DT switch. Unfortunately the poor quality of this switch, made the move to the Tortise slow motion machine necessary. In the 1st photo on the...
  17. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Ordered pin-vice Duke94 thanks but the information will not be necessary, I found what I need and ordered it Online: http://www.shop.cmlsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=-1&productId=156 Working on this railroad is a sheer joy and a lot less expensive than working on this...
  18. B

    MRC AD310 Decoder @ Proto 2000 GP18

    Decoder Update Apparently I didn't make the mistake I though I did. On the instruction sheet there was an unidentified wire for the engine ground, or negative side; it should have been labeled "gray." This still wouldn't have done me any good, because MRC didn't include that "gray" wire on...
  19. B

    HO Car Derailments

    More Information What size drill bit are you pre-drilling with? Do you have a size number for the pin-vise?
  20. B

    HO Car Derailments

    Grey Sponge Roadbed Thank you for the price spread on the engine, that's the kind of information I was hoping to get. If I can ever get past Ebay's, error FP001, I might find out what I can get for it. I have attached two photos of the Atlas 100 track laying equipment I use. The photos should...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top