Upgrading Turn-out Switch Machines

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


BNTorsney

Member
I am in the process of gathering the necessary items to upgrade the Atlas 100 turn-outs. My first choice was Atlas's 150-66 under table machine with, DP/DT switch. Unfortunately the poor quality of this switch, made the move to the Tortise slow motion machine necessary. In the 1st photo on the right, is a 10 year old 150-65 Atlas under table switch, next to it on the left is the new 150-66. Looking at the older switch, the rod sticking up is plastic and more substantial at the base, as compared to the thin metal rod of the new machine. Atlas stated this machine was good, as long a the combined thickness of the table and roadbed didn't exceed 1 5/8 inches. My combined thickness is only 3/4 inch, yet the flimsily plastic that supports the metal rod, chose flex and twist rather than move the track.
The second photo is of some of the parts necessary for the turn-out conversion. After the set back with the 150-66 switch, I have to await the arrival of the Tortise machine, beforing upgrading the first of twelve switches on my layout.
 
Choo-choo label maker

The main reason for these turn-out upgrades, is practically all of my derailments are caused by "operator error;" I forget to throw a switch. In the interim, while I'm waiting for my parts to come from the Internet, I found a cool "band aid" for this problem at Walmart; it's what I call my "choo-choo" label maker. Photo 1 is of the DYMO label maker, it sells for about $19.00. After you type your label into the electronic screen, before you print it, you have the ability to "BOX" the label in a format all model railroader will appreciate, see the second photo.
 
That label maker would be helpful under the table for the wiring, also. I converted to Tortoise because the Atlas machine on top the table just didn't work for me. Glad I converted. On cross-overs I wired both switches to one machine and usually to one DPDT switch. Some Tortoises are controlled from 2 different control panels. Here are a couple pix of my control panels. Will have 5 control panels when complete (if ever :o)
 


On the same page

The Atlas 150-66 switch machines were a HUGH disappointment. Not only didn't they work, but the 30 SP/DT (center off) monetary switches had to be returned for DP/DT ones. If you compare the Atlas to the Tortoise, it's fairly obvious an engineer designed the Tortoise, and a "CEO" probably designed the Atlas. When my twelve are upgraded, my control panel will have a similar look to yours.
In the first photo, the top/right, you can see I have one Atlas control switch replaced and a bi-color LED partially installed, stuck in the seam. The large DP/DT switch is temporary while I await the delivery of the smaller switches I just ordered. The second photo shows the new "surge suppressor" to further protect my supply voltage.
The third photo shows a 12VDC, 3 amp power supply I purloined from an old computer USB hard drive. The unit was suppose to deliver 65 watts of power in an poorly vented plastic box. With the power supply heat sinks now in the open air, where they will cool much quicker, I don't anticipate any power shortages!
Finally the last photo is my "Searchlight" distribution panel, this is where all the railroad traffic signals will get their power. In the top left is a LM7812 voltage regulator. This 12 volt, 1 amp IC regulator is "filtered" by a .01 uf capacitor at the input and a 1 uf on the output. This regulator will regulate the power supply to a constant 12 volts. Initially, I wasn't going to filter the supply voltage, until I read the instructions for the Tortoise, they recommend a filtered voltage supply.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
First turn-out upgraded

I finally received the smaller DP/DT switches I ordered over the Internet. Now having everything I needed I upgraded the "Yard Entrance" turn-out first.
1st photo, by installing a combined 500 ohm resistance in the "swinger" of the DP/DT switch, only one resistance was needed for both segments of the bi-colored LED. 2nd photo, you can see how "uncluttered" the smaller switch/LED combination is over Atlas's stock switch. 3rd photo, using alike #8 brass screws for my 12 VDC power tie-point, the "Choo-Choo" labeler came in handy. Final photo, shows a blacken #2-56 x 1 inch brass screw, provides the power connection for the "frog" section of the turn-out; though the 2nd switch on the Tortoise machine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Progress

I've revamped my "rail-yard" and installed 6 of the 12 turn-out upgrades. Each of the upgraded turn-outs now has an electrified frog and LED turn-out indicators. When this phase is complete, before going on to the rest of the layout's turn-outs, I would like to install some "magnetic decoupling" ability to the rail-yard.
I am interested in what other members are using for this purpose and the location of the decoupling devices; any photos would be an added bonus.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Rail-Yard Turn-out Upgrade Complete

I finally finished upgrading all the turn-out motors in the rail-yard. In addition, I have installed two additional cross-overs (4 turn-outs), on the two longest tracks in the yard; this will give my yard a "Arrival and Depart" track. My next modification to this original "Berkshire Valley Route (HO plan #35)," will be to add some additional length to the end of the 12 foot section, to allow the longest track in the rail-yard, to attach back to the outer MAIN line. This way the second longest rail-yard track w/ the two cross-overs, will become the arrival and depart track.
The absolute joy of this project, is that I ALWAYS have something to do and am never bored!
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top