Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. 4

    Coupler problems

    Thanks guys. The actual solution is taking down the layout and building a new one. Yes this seems drastic but it is happening anyway as my train room is going to be a family/play/storage room when my new son or daughter shows up in a few months. Don't negotiate trackage rights with a pregnant...
  2. 4

    Coupler problems

    Its a Wlather's Amtrak loco not sure what type off the top of my head. Also pulling Amtrak boxcars. I have a couple passenger cars but they won't go through the turnouts at all so they are staying in the box. Loco is four axle if it matters. Loco goes through just fine. Another problem i...
  3. 4

    Coupler problems

    I got a new locomotive the other day and a few pieces of rolling stock. The big problem I am having is that the coupler on the locomotive seems to not have enough range of motion and ends up pulling the following car off the tracks. This seems to be ocurring when it is going through a turnout...
  4. 4

    Club near Westfield, MA

    I didn't know there were so many around. Thanks for the list. I have been down to the Time Machine and spoken to some of their members before. I may look into them more. They are about an hour's drive which is kinda the distance I would be looking to drive. Too much more and its not worth...
  5. 4

    Club near Westfield, MA

    I hear ya. I get what you are saying but to be honest I made a lot of expensive mistakes on the first layout. There are definetely thigns I need help with. A club seems like a good way to get to know other people involved in the hobby. I don't know a lot of people involved in model...
  6. 4

    Club near Westfield, MA

    Hey guys thanks for the info. I am leaning toward the one in Dudley because they are not up and running yet. I figure the earlier in the process of building a layout the better. I am about to tear down my layout and start a whole new one so am going to need all the hands on learning I can...
  7. 4

    Club near Westfield, MA

    Been awhile but thanks for the info. Anyone in here from the Worcester Club? Its a long drive but would seem to offer what I am looking for. I like the Amherst Belt Lines being so close but would really like a place with scheduled meetings and a layout in place to operate on. Emailed them...
  8. 4

    newbe ho layout

    I had the same problem. Your mixture is too thick. I think you need to dilute it more. Honestly I just buy the woodland scenics stuff. I know I'm a sucker for that but it is just way less frustrating.
  9. 4

    First attempt at making and painting rocks

    Those look way better than my first try. I had a really hard time with getting the painting right too. Yours look real good.
  10. 4

    photo backdrops

    Thanks folks I appreciate the input. I am going to get a couple printed up and see how it comes out. I did find a couple of suppliers who could help keep the cost and therefore the price down. If it works out there will be a link to that page on my site seen below. And if it does work I...
  11. 4

    photo backdrops

    I was looking to make some of my own photo backdrops for my railroad and it has made me wonder what the marketability of such a product would be. I would like some opinions on what kind of price someone would be willing to pay for a photo backdrop. The size would likely be 18" x 36" or 24" x...
  12. 4

    Thinking about getting serious W/ model RR

    I wuld still do some block wiring for the reasons mentioned above
  13. 4

    Track Bed Foam vs Cork

    which one is more expensive? I haven't seen this foam stuff yet
  14. 4

    Thinking about getting serious W/ model RR

    One thing I'll say, just go DCC. I wish I had. I spent slightly less on regular DC than I would have for DCC but now I want DCC. I knew I would from the start but thought I needed to save money. Now I'm just going to have buy a DCC system after spending the money on a DC power source. If...
  15. 4

    Help with getting started HO scale

    From one who just got back into this a year or so ago. Planning is everything. Don't be in a hurry to get benchwork done, and then in a hurry, to get track down, and then in a hurry to do the next thing. I was in a hurry to do it all and it is proving to be an expensive mistake. I'd say 80%...
  16. 4

    What do you do for a living?

    Corporate Pilot for my real job. Been doing that for about thriteen years. Well thirteen if you count the four I took off a couple years ago to join the Coast Guard. Got out after my four and went back to flying. Also a wanna be photographer. Pictures of our travels, trains and planes...
  17. 4

    Mounting undertable switches in foam

    Posted this in another thread but it is relevant here too. I have two tortoise machines going through particle board and foam. I used the heavier recommended guage that tortoise recommended but to be honest I think I would go up one step thicker. I just think this gives the wire a little more...
  18. 4

    Where i am at

    That's it Thanks CNR I was trying to remember what they were.
  19. 4

    Where i am at

    why don't you want a tortoise. They work quite well and install simply. I have seen a machine that is manual and the box looks kinda like a tortoise but is blue. I am considering using those for some of the industrial switches on my future layout. I can;t remember what they are called.
  20. 4

    Where i am at

    I would second the comment on the snap switches. I bought a bunch because I liked that the tighter turnout saved precious room. Now I can't run the trains i want. Originally I was going to expand this layout when I got a bigger room, but now, partly because of those turnouts, I am probably...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top