ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Anybody ever use Atlas #65 Under Table Switch machine, and can you wire it other then with the Atlas Switch Controller, and can it reach through 1in of foam and 1/2 inch of roadbed, and is there such thing as a left hand or right hand under table switch machine from Atlas.
The under table machines can be used for right or left hand switches. Up to 2.5 inches should be no problem in terms of the pin reaching the throwbar. They can be difficult to install, however. I'd use the methos described at http://forum.atlasrr.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54919򒊢. Although it's an N gauge installation, it will work as well for HO. The Atlas switch controller is not needed to use these machines. Any momentay switch will work.
How would you manage to wire it without the Atlas switch machine. And has anybody herd of those manual under the table switches that you control with a lever from the side of the table.
I would second the comment on the snap switches. I bought a bunch because I liked that the tighter turnout saved precious room. Now I can't run the trains i want. Originally I was going to expand this layout when I got a bigger room, but now, partly because of those turnouts, I am probably going to have to start from scratch. Expensive mistake.
Ignore that last post. Based on what i have herd i am not going to use the Atlas switch controllers. Whats the best, cheapest, easiest to install, under the table switch machine it can be manual (remote lever operated) or automatic, thats not the tortoise or however thats spelled.
why don't you want a tortoise. They work quite well and install simply. I have seen a machine that is manual and the box looks kinda like a tortoise but is blue. I am considering using those for some of the industrial switches on my future layout. I can;t remember what they are called.
if you don't laredy have atlas machines, i'd pay bit more and get tortoise.
if you do intend to use atlas anyways I still wouldn't use atals controller - ugly as hell.
why not build something like this? proper capacitor discharge unit. (position indicator is optional)
You can use an automotive choke cable and knob, with the knob mounted on the layout facsia, if you want to manually throw switches you can't reach. The cable has to be supported for it's entire run, it has to be straight, and getting the stop right so you don't pull the points out of the switch is a little tricky. They also tend to bind over time and aren't all that reliable. That's what a lot of used who didn't want ugly Atlas machines but before a good undertable machine like the Tortoise was invented. You can still do it the old fashioned way, but be prepared to start wanting to poke your eyes out with a fork. I don't know why your are resisting Tortoise machines. They are easy to mount, totally reliable, and can had for under $14 in quantity.
why don't you want a tortoise. They work quite well and install simply. I have seen a machine that is manual and the box looks kinda like a tortoise but is blue. I am considering using those for some of the industrial switches on my future layout. I can;t remember what they are called.
why don't you want a tortoise. They work quite well and install simply. I have seen a machine that is manual and the box looks kinda like a tortoise but is blue. I am considering using those for some of the industrial switches on my future layout. I can;t remember what they are called.
The'y're blue point turnout controllers by new rail models
I was going to use them but I have almost all Peco turnouts that I can reach to throw manually.
Whats the # of the switches that i should be using in a yard latter thats realistic to the real thing. I am going to use 6-axle locomotives and Atlas Code 83.
Whats the # of the switches that i should be using in a yard latter thats realistic to the real thing. I am going to use 6-axle locomotives and Atlas Code 83.
I think the largest Atlas makes is a called a super switch #10 or #12, but if space is an issue then you will have to use smaller. #6 is the minimum you need to use for 6 axles. For some reason i cant find the super switches on the Walthers site, but i know ive seen them in hobby shops. They do take up quite a bit of real estate though... lol
i will tell you even more. that athearn sd-40 went even through peco setrack turnout (17.5 radius) at speed perfectly well. not pretty whatsoever due to extreme overhang but workable (i'm not going to take pictures of trains in that location, lol)
bigger numbers certainly make it look better, but looking at #6 and up i have no idea where would one fit them on smaller layouts without trimming.
i will tell you even more. that athearn sd-40 went even through peco setrack turnout (17.5 radius) at speed perfectly well. not pretty whatsoever due to extreme overhang but workable (i'm not going to take pictures of trains in that location, lol)
My Proto 2000 SD-7 runs through the same turnouts equally well, I did have some trouble with older atlas turnouts though so I re-laid all the track and replaced the atlas with peco.