ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I was looking to make some of my own photo backdrops for my railroad and it has made me wonder what the marketability of such a product would be. I would like some opinions on what kind of price someone would be willing to pay for a photo backdrop. The size would likely be 18" x 36" or 24" x 36". These would be panoramic photographs. They may also come in a series of prints that can be mounted side by side to form a larger backdrop.
Also what would folks look for in a backdrop of this nature? I have seen some of these in local hobby stores but don't really remember what kind of price they were going for.
You can just google it. There are several levels of quality with some beign 10 bucks to others being custom made for much more. Try this, go to google and type "model rr backdrops" exactly without the quotes. You'll get a realistic answer in the links.
Good Luck
Walthers sells a series that interconnect. Forget how much I paid for them, they are adequate but a real photo would be better. I've thought of doing this myself for my own layout more than once!
Would be tough to sell for a profit but I would use www.pefectposters.com to print them if I were to do it over. They will print any size/aspect ratio, not just the standard stuff. You can make a single print up 72" long and only as wide as you need and they only charge by the square inch printed. The paper they use is a lot heavier than the posters you get at Sam's etc.
The correct link is www.perfectposters.com. Their prices are quite inexpensive for the quality of the work but still not cheap. They have quite an investment in blueprint size sublimated die printers. Unless you already have one, or even better, several of these, I rather doubt you'd do anything but loose your shirt, especially in this economy.
Thanks folks I appreciate the input. I am going to get a couple printed up and see how it comes out. I did find a couple of suppliers who could help keep the cost and therefore the price down.
If it works out there will be a link to that page on my site seen below. And if it does work I will ship to Canada and overseas, we already do with the other stuff it just costs a bit more.