ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
I second Crandell's suggestion about the garden soil. I have used water fractioning
to extract really fine material. You need 2 large buckets for this method. Put
a spadeful of soil in on bucket, then add water. Let the bucket
overflow to get rid of light floating bits - keep vigorously...
-
Hi Craig,
You have a nice big room for the layout! I am also a newbie but I can
tell you that your plan is really large for a starter layout. If you're like
me you're going to find out soon that your initial plan might not be
what you want in the long run. It is a good idea to start building...
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: Correcting vane positions
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and...
-
Thanks for the information. I went out and photographed some actual
bridges locally which I guess are from about the same era as the turntable
I'm modelling. It seems the bridges are using some square profile cross ties
(maybe 8" x 8") and some rectangular profile ones (maybe 8 x 12). I will...
-
EFRX 109 undergoing field surgery
Since we're posting prototype photos:
Local short line needed to swap out the rear motor from their
switcher. Had a heavy crane to lift the engine up (see photo 1),
drove the rear truck from under the engine using a
"portable power pack" (i.e. a...
-
Hehe, yes. That is my scratch built HO scale turntable in progress. Details for the project can be found in this thread:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17679
The Z-scale train is from a train set I bought in 1986 in Germany.I was
intending to build a good layout...
-
Looks very good to me, just like real oil-drenched coal! Must be the specular reflections from the cell walls of the foam. Does it look as good live (as opposed to in a photograph)?
-ik
-
My new Z-scale layout
Check out the progress on my new Z-scale layout :-)
-ik
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: Indexing, part 3
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and electricity
is...
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: Indexing, part 2
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and electricity
is...
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: Indexing, part 1
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and electricity
is...
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: single board computer
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and...
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: rollers and motor
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and electricity...
-
You're being too modest Jim, I've seen your pictures. But thanks for the kind encouragement. When I was at the LHS I was comparing those two concrete
colors, the aged concrete looked very yellow to me. But it's hard to tell how
the painted object would look from just looking at the paint...
-
I'm 5'8" and the rail tops are at 28". Remember that my layout is supposed to be for
my kids (3 and 5 years old :-) This level will eventually just become a staging
area below the actual layout or will be scavenged for a larger, more mature layout.
-ik
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: woodworking pt2
Here are pictures 5 and 6.
Oh and by the way: the ring was cut from 2 scrap pieces of 5/8" MDF, glued
together and allowed to properly dry before routing.
-ik
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: woodworking
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and electricity
is...
-
I get between 5 and 10 hours of fun per week on the layout. Most of it is building
but a little bit of playing :-) Layout was started just over one year ago; got phases
1 and 2 of tracklaying done (main line and yard); now working on engine servicing
terminal (including the turntable!). Will...
-
Wow,
that BN box car looks amazing. I can't believe how realistic that rust looks!
-ik
-
Scratchbuilding a turntable: bridge base
Disclaimer
This is a construction journal, not a plan to be followed! If you are inspired
to build something after reading these articles, do so at your own risk. Take
the necessary precautions for safety. Working with powertools and electricity
is...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)