ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
B
yeah, I know. I relegated a yard into stage II. I won't have a lot of rolling stock to start with, so the yard is not that urgent.
-
B
And here's the next version, or step in the evolution, or idea...
still 2.5ft by 4.5ft times 2 in an L shape.
I didn't like how the previous one had the segment-crossings in curves.
This one has 3 crossings, plus 2 that are bridges, which I plan to build removable.
There is a possibilty for...
-
B
you could build a 4x5 box without a bottom - a lid, if you will - that goes over the layout when it is not in use. A few dowels and holes will make sure it snaps together right, and 2 metal fasteners on each long side will hold it in place. (this is what I plan to do)
Combine this with foldable...
-
B
Hello everyone,
3 months have passed, and I came up with a new layout idea. It's smaller, more affordable, and it will actually fit my available space.
Still n-scale, min. radius 11", max grade 2%.
I'm thinking of building this in 2 segments (2.5'x4.5' each).
I am a bit worried about...
-
B
Love the rocks. They look awesome.
-
B
Here I am working away, straightening things out... coming up with an Heureka moment for a 2nd reverse track... working it in and feeling all good, and only then I realize:
it's no 2nd reverse track at all, just an alternate route!
But it goes nicely trough the mountain, and it gives me an...
-
B
Right... I'll work on that.
-
B
I do like that book, and first thing I did was to use one of Mr. Armstrong's ideas: The boatshape layout.
It'll fit nicely in the space I have. I also realized that I don't want to switch as much as I thought, and I don't really need a big ass yard, or staging. I just want to be able to run some...
-
-
B
Thanks Mixy, you are awesome.
A couple of more thing occured to me that would be nice (I apologize if these have been suggested before, I am not too sure if there is a predetermined place to post suggestions like these) - in no particular order:
- the ability to group track, and/or the ability...
-
B
I really like this layout. I'd like to use it a base for the N-scale layout I'm working on, if you don't mind.
-
B
Just an update: I have started over, and whenever I seem to have something, there's something that comes to my attention that makes it necessary to change things... grade, radii, hidden track.... It's takes a bit of patience to find the right "composition". But I am working on it.
I might even...
-
B
Hello again,
thanks for all your replies, all the advice is being processed at the moment :)
(I have another post pending that is waiting for moderator approval. seems it is unwise to link to external pictures.)
I am currently reworking the layout a bit - I am including staging below (found an...
-
B
Thanks for the new version! Scarm is a great program.
For future versions I'd love to see these features:
- ability to manipulate flex track when it is attached to other track on both ends. sort of right-click in the middle of the flex track, reshape, and so be able to widen or lessen the turn...
-
B
Good thought. I'll work that in.
I also thought of having tunnel windows, like this (Eiger North Face)
Maybe I can make the remaining tunnels removable, or have access from below.
B.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)