New Layout Idea - Looking for comments and/or advice

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Hello everyone,

3 months have passed, and I came up with a new layout idea. It's smaller, more affordable, and it will actually fit my available space.
Still n-scale, min. radius 11", max grade 2%.
I'm thinking of building this in 2 segments (2.5'x4.5' each).
I am a bit worried about rail-connections where the segments meet (2 are at an angle), but with precise construction it shouldn't be a problem, should it?

One side has mountain area with some mining or quarry operation, and a river, and the other side has parts of a town.
It'll run short trains only, but given that I do not own a single piece of rolling stock yet I think that is ok.


2-5x3-5-twice-06-buildable.jpg
2-5x3-5-twice-06-buildable-trackplan.jpg

White track is level, red track goes either up or down.

What do you think?

cheers,
Brato
 
And here's the next version, or step in the evolution, or idea...
still 2.5ft by 4.5ft times 2 in an L shape.
I didn't like how the previous one had the segment-crossings in curves.
This one has 3 crossings, plus 2 that are bridges, which I plan to build removable.
There is a possibilty for extension now on each half.
The reversing loops at each end are still there, and there are a few little sidings for very small 'industries'.
There's a station, and one major industry (the idea being that people take the train to work).
I didn't get as far as roads or more buildings go... yet... or perhaps they'll all just have to go in the off-world...

2-5x4-5-twice-10.jpg
2-5x4-5-twice-10_plan.jpg
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Brato
 
Real RRs always have the greatest majority of cars coming from the RRs the interchange RRs. The latest plans have some industry spurs but there's no yard for the cars to go to/from. Having an interchange track as part of the yard can also do that as well. If you have alot of cars but no space on the layout, you could use a "staging tray" for the interchange track. That way you can take cars on/off the layout w/o having to 0-5-0 them all the time.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top