Your thoughts on this PA1

brubakes

Saw an ebay acution for a NKP PA1 and B unit. Does anyone have them and more information on them? Quality item? Can it be converted to DCC? Worth buy and what would you see as a "good" price.

CLICK FOR AUCTION.

Battered up junk. Those models had to hit the floor a few times to lose body steps. In addition, the seller isn't clear if the B unit is a dummy but I think it is. I'd give this one a pass.

I really have to agree with Randy though. If you're going to model a specific railroad, there are always liberties we take that deviate from the prototype. Buying a B unit for a railroad that never had them is an awfully big liberty, especially when you can easily find NKP A units all the time on e-bay.

I agree with Jim on this one, its a pass. If both were powered, maybe.

As for the NKP not having B-units, who cares. Its your railroad, do what you want with it. I started off that way, but have shifted to a much more prototypical modeler in recent years. Do what ever gives you the most enjoyment in the hobby.

Well, I'm partial to older Athearns so I wouldn't completely write off this deal. It could be hit or miss - if you are willing to put some work into it then they may be a great deal. Then again, the motor(s) may be shot. It all depends on what they're worth to you. The shells alone might be worth the risk.

In any case, I wouldn't bid more than 20 bucks or so.

You may want to ask for a photo of the bottom of the two chassis - that way you can look for any corrosion, and also see if both have motors. Check the 4 small holes in the bottom of the center section - if they have motors, the holes should be kinda ivory coloured (the plastic motor mounts). No motors, they'll be empty (dark coloured). Maybe also closer shots of the paint job to see if it looks good.

As for DCC, they will be a full retrofit (motor isolation, wire soldering) but shouldn't be impossible.

Mark

Well he does state "Motor tested and it runs" so it's one motor, so the B is a dummy. The steps can be replaced with bent wire, these are old Athearns so you don't have to be too fussy. If you can get them for under $20 it might be ok. But remember it's $8 shipping. He must be using "Canada Post"

Cheers Willis

I agree with Jim on this one, its a pass. If both were powered, maybe.

As for the NKP not having B-units, who cares. Its your railroad, do what you want with it. I started off that way, but have shifted to a much more prototypical modeler in recent years. Do what ever gives you the most enjoyment in the hobby.

Wow! I didn't mean to raise anyone's IRE by stating the the Nickel Plate didn't have any B Units, I was just trying to help. I'll just shut up and keep to myself I guess. :confused:

I'll just shut up and keep to myself I guess.

Nah! Someone else might be able to use the information, don't take it too serious just have fun.

Cheers Willis

They dont look bad for $20 plus shipping. Steps can be fixed. I had one similar that I turned on ebay it ran well. Ask him if cowling under front coupler is broke, if so it hit floor.

I was interested in the NKP not having B units, Thanks.

My Fun Valley Line is my get away world where others come to enjoy. I chose not to go with a particular prototype. I do appreciate those that take the time to be that exact. I just answer by saying "Fun Valley Line leases all locos and rolling stock."

The nice thing about this hobby is we can all create our own deal with our own level of detail and accuracy.

Just my two cents . The Athearn shells will fetch a good price alone. $8.00 for shipping is not a bad price for two locomotives .They are quite heavy and you can always calculate the actual shipping costs. Take two of your own Athearns and weigh them. That should give you a ruff idea on heavy they would be and the cost for shipping .

Back