Your other interests...

Losing them really stinks after all the time spent to build them. IMG_20130902_231939.jpgIMG_20130902_231939.jpgIMG_20130902_231939.jpgIMG_20130902_231939.jpgOne of my old Guillows mustangs. Not sure why 4 times though.1377145400917.jpgCan't forget the wife on other interests post.

* Music: over 450 albums in vinyl, about 200 CD's. Mainly 60's-80's, but a few odds and ends here and there.
* Eating: Some folks eat to live, I live to eat... seems like I ALWAYS need to lose weight, but there's just too much tasty food out there to pass up!
Music is one I've drifted away from through the years. I've not listened to anything from vinyl for at least 2 years now. Too hard to set up and then put away especially being careful not to scratch or get dust on them. I've never even cataloged my collection but in the late 70s I was collecting all the quadraphonic CD-4 and SQL matrix albums I could get my hands on whether or not I liked the music. Now, the CD changer holds 300 (but I don't have that many) so occasionally I just put it on "random play".

Boy we are in totally opposite camps on eating. I hate spending time (and money) to buy food, fix food, eat food, and clean up after food. Even with a really good dishwasher, I think I would have about 20 hours more per week to spend on other things with lasting value if it wasn't for food. :)

Quite a lot of different interests here, but cars seems to be the most common.

I've been into the Jeep culture for a while now. It's almost like a disease- I'm down to owning 3 of them now. I've had the '00 Wrangler for about 8 years now, and it mostly just has some bolt-on modifications done to it. With a 4 cyl engine, there's not too much I can do to it so I can still drive it daily.

0510141345-00.jpg

PICT0130.jpg

My '90 Cherokee however, has had quite a bit of work done to it. It was destined for the junkyard if I hadn't bought it that day. It was 2wd when I got it but I bought another cherokee that had been wrecked and took the front axle, driveshafts, and transmission out to make mine 4wd. It has a little over 400k miles on it now, and I plan to get it to 500k. I built the engine up last year with a nice cam, new head, new manifolds, and an updated EFI system. Now, the only thing original on the drivetrain is the valve cover and oil pan. Now I'm working on a Jurassic Park themed paint job for it.

20140728_115450.jpg

20140806_102358.jpg

I've also gotten into aviation a bit lately, and I'm now going to school to be an airframe and powerplant mechanic. Just 1 semester left, and I can be Airframe certified.

0921131517-00.jpg

I'm a "pile it" too. I pile it here and I pile it there. Flew a bunch in the service but never bothered to get a ticket. Always liked it though. Pete

Sound like my railroad projects. I have them piled all over the place. I started flying when I was 16 and got my license at 17. My uncle was a carrier pilot during WWII and was my big inspiration.

Carrier pilots are the top guns if you ask me. Takes a lot of guts to try and land on a postage stamp in five miles deep water.

When I was in the Navy I had the opportunity to be a passenger for a carrier take off and landing. It was an interesting experience. Been there, done that, not interested in doing it again.

Not a very good picture. I had to scan this from a photo. I worked at an FBO for a number of years a while back. As rare as a staggerwing is, we had two of them tied down on the apron at the same time.
attachment.php

travelling in our motorhome
prospecting/rockhounding/lapidary
playing guitar and harmonica
photography
and my latest. I joined a civil war re-enacters group and am going train to be certified to be on the cannon crew.

Bet that was scary the first time. Probably scary the last time too. Not many people can say they have done that. pete

Bet it was exciting though. We had those little Bell 47 choppers in my Guard unit back in the 60's. I was a chopper mechanic but with two choppers and 200 mechanics in the battalion there was often nothing to do. So I ended up a cook which I loved and had a lot of time off. I often went flying with one of our pilots during my off hours and one day this Major asked me if I wanted to go flying with him. "We have to practice autorotation and thought you might like to go along" said the pilot.'Ok,sounds like fun" I said having no idea what he was talking about. So we get in the chopper and crank it up which I had done many times at Ft. Rucker and with my unit and off we went into the wild blue yonder. We're flying around at about 4k feet when the Major reached over and snapped off the mags. I knew that wasn't good but before I could react the chopper dropped like a rock and all I could do was sit there and watch the altimeter unwind at an alarming rate. Very shortly the ground was much closer than was comfortable and I looked over at the Major who had a huge grin on his face while he pulled the pitch and set us gently on the ground. He reached over and snapped the magnetos back on and said "Bet ya never did that before did ya?" "No" I said "but you could have warned me" and the next thing I knew we were off again and did the same maneuver maybe six or seven more times. By the time we were thorough I was having a ball. When we got back to the hanger all the other pilots gave us a big round of applause. The whole thing was all set up to scare the pants off me and it did at first. Pilots are crazy in general and sadistic in particular but all in all a great bunch of people. Pete

When I was on the Highway Patrol in Florida when I first got out of the service, I went to Tucson, AZ to pick up a Bell 47. Had to wait until winter because we had to fly over some tall mountains and need the denser air in cold weather because the mountains were a bit over the ceiling of the Bell 47. Sure was a cold flight. A year or so later we finally updated to a jet ranger. The 47 was fun to fly, thought I was on MASH.

Years ago, when I used to flight instruct in NC, I got to fly in the left seat of a Huey with the State Police. I got to manipulate the controls for about a minute. No thanks, I'll stick to fixed wing...

Brad

Back