Your other interests...

I've got a 2003 Mach 1 that's mostly stock and I like to make art. Actually just did a piece for my barber since he's a Rush fan. And this week did a new memorial wall for my mom, but ran out of paint for the back ground. And of course spending time with my wife and our daughter.
yqe4u2eq.jpg

This is my baby, nothing fancy; stock 4.6L v8, short throw shifter, and cat back exhaust without mufflers, and drag radials.
pagaga4a.jpg

Just did this for my mom on one of my garage walls. Says Kathy.

Awesome 59 Impala... my 1st car was a 59 Bel Air 4 dr, 235 ci, 3 speed on the column, optional radio but not an oil filter. I think just the gauges & fender bullets are all I have from that car.

G'day Tony....I don't mind the thing you do that spoils a good walk....causes much frustration , requires up to 14 weapons and is a four letter word starting with "g"... Also Trout and Bream fishing , very bad photography and videoing, lawn bowls , cricket tragic,,(used to play so now I'm an armchair expert on everything cricket)..Following the most frustrating , annoying, under achieving AFL...(Australian Football League).team...the mighty Richmond Tigers... spending time with my precious little 4 year old border collie Missy (such a sweetie) and a precocious little (Rip up everything) 10 month old kelpie pup , Daisy , bushwalking , reading model train magazines . Occasionally I fit in a little bit of model rail stuff too.Fun topic...Cheers Rod...

Tony--just what I was thinking while looking at all the posts. Some very awesome cars!!

Sorry Rodney I didn't understand a lot of the expressions, but I don't think I saw anything about cars in there.

I must admit I find the model railroad to fancy automobiles connection a bit peculiar, but I guess they both involve motors and bodies.

lasm

Rodney,

Funny, since being in the US I have forgotten about a lot of Aussie things. Never was any good using 14 weapons although the walk and the 19th was always good fun. You play Lawn Bowls!! So did I in Australia and Wales. Played skip or 3rd mainly in fours and skip in pairs. The biggest kick I ever got was when I was living in Wales and being asked to play 2nd for a Welsh Rep, ending up being his 3rd. As soon as I can clear the memory banks I let you know who it was. The second thing I got a kick out of was getting an Aussie Blazer for the Arafura Games where I played lead in the pairs and brought home a Bronze.

lasm:

I'll translate for you, okay. Your right no mention of cars, and I'm guessing the confusing one is the walking, 14 weapons and is a four letter word. A dumb sport where you hit a little white, yellow, blue or red (I think) ball, chase it, just to hit it again and so on :) I call it "zig zagging", others refer to it as "Golf"! :)

I think the connection has to do with creativity and power, maybe and your right, lots of awesome vehicles.

My outside activities are;
Railfanning, Done a lot of that this summer!
Chasing after a 4yo Grandson, tiring
Bass Fishing, Haven't done as much past few years, health hasn't let me. Hope to at least start the motor on the boat this year.

Nice to see you back on the forums Chuck, (napa15), What ya up to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there Carey! All good here boss. Just the normal work and kids. :p I've been able to work a good bit on my layout over the summer. Finally feel like I'm making progress. Just started some consulting work on an upcoming #4501 documentary. Pretty excited about that. :)

I must admit I find the model railroad to fancy automobiles connection a bit peculiar, but I guess they both involve motors and bodies.
I don't think that is the connection at all. I believe the connection is Cars to male gender and separately model railroading to male gender. I can only think of a few male people I know that don't have the "car" gene. I can only think of few (5 or so) female model railroaders I would guess 1/2 of those are only there because of their husband. On the other hand I know several female motorheads.

I believe the connection is Cars to male gender and separately model railroading to male gender. I can only think of a few male people I know that don't have the "car" gene. I can only think of few (5 or so) female model railroaders I would guess 1/2 of those are only there because of their husband.

That would explain a lot, making it a genetic thing. That is, why I would keep on buying model railroad stuff when I allready have more than I can adequately appreciate.

Wise insight, keemosabi

Montanan,

[/COLOR]

Relax - I was only kidding with you. I like Vets but, there are a helluva lot of better cars if you want power, handling and (heaven for bid) fuel economy without compromising on the power.

You DO have one hell of a car there Montanan and getting 30 MPG on the open road, darn that is good. I get around 25 out of my Vette at best.

The one car I would love to get my hands on is a 69 SS Camaro (I think), then drop something like a 600 HP Ferrari engine (perhaps a modified F14 motor) into it with a 5 or 6 speed manual gear box, of course. Wouldn't care about the fuel economy :) Actually, I am looking for an 84/85/86 GTS 308 Ferrari. Beef up the trans and get a few more horses out of it, say, another 100 - 150 horses :)

Am also looking at an original 79 Vette in great condition and with very few miles on it. Just got to talk the wife into letting me get one or the other. Might come down to me giving her our current Vet though ... :(

Anyway, lots of interesting hobbies and interests and that is great to see.

Here are a couple of other toys.

attachment.php
attachment.php

This one doesn't get much use. Only has a little over 300 miles on it since last year. Trying to keep the mileage low on the last Shelby Mustang.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This one is a '31 Chevy with a little 327 in it. Gets a little more miles on it than the Mustang.

Now there is diversity - from a Shelby Mustang and 31 Chevy, to the gentle more refined art of horticulture. About the only thing I have ever been any good at growing is lawns. They are the one leveling factor in my life and I get as much enjoyment out of maintaining them as I do from my bike, cars, boat and (of course) model railroading.

I do have some very nice weeds though, which I have had a great amount of success in growing :)

G'day Tony and all...Sorry for the confusion...yes golf....i started aged 15 as a junior and got to five handicap for a while , played Div 3 A grade pennant and played in 16 winning Pennant teams locally on the ECTGA. East Coast Tasmania Golf Association..when we had an awesome side.think it was 16 years out of 20 at one stage..I was the highest handicapper often in those teams and we went on to win three regional Championships and lost two State flags in heartbreakingly close finishes...In the lawn Bowls our golf club is a double club , also a bowls club... I play Third most of the time but LOVE playing Lead whenever I get the chance...not keen on skip...We do okay...won three pennants past decade or so Fantastic Tony, a Bronze Medal at the Arafura Games is brilliant..You must know your way round a bowls green...Great game....Cars... I'm a Ford nut.. I own a bulletproof Ford Falcon AU Series 2 Futura...built in 2001...had an 84 XE , and a 96 Futura before that... Sad to think the current Falcon will be the last built in Australia and local manufacturing finishes in 2016...GM H and Toyota also winding up local manufacturing...IT"S CRIMINAL....The Ford Falcon would sell like hotcakes elsewhere not least in America ...GMH sells their Commodore as a Chevvy now...but not enough to save local manufacturing...Totally forgot to mention the V8 Supercar series , our Nascar..HUGE FAN....They had a round of the series at Circuit of the Americas in Austin Texas in 2013....and the US race fans loved our V8s..I've been salivating on some amazing cars and bikes owned by fellow forum members in this thread though...WOW....lucky sods....Cheers Rod..

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! BeeeYouTEE 59-60 Chevy Bel Air (?) I had a 59 Ford Custom back in the day!

Other:
Studio scale sci-fi models (4 Foot diameter Jupiter 2)
Electric RC Helicopters
Vintage racing airplanes
Audiophile wack-job
Sci-Fi SPFX in my studio.
Insects etc
Anything powered by steam

My other interests...
Aircraft
Trucks
Ships and sailing vessels
Camping
Bicycling
20th century military hardware.

Like a lot of you I have a few other hobbies too...

Started off building models, a lot of which I still have. I particularly like the 1/16 Don Prudhomme Army funny car / dragster set.

P1020394.jpg

Then got into the real things. I restored a couple of 67 Novas, this sport coupe and an SS. Spent a lot of time at car shows, met a lot of great people, and drove a lot of miles. Attended a couple of Car Craft Nationals and a National Nostalgic Nova meet near Baltimore.

Nova.jpg

I got out of the cars when we decided to build a house and needed the funds, so I thought I would try R/C planes. Built this Sig Cadet and flew it a lot until the farmer's field I flew it at turned into a subdivision. I sold it, but hope to get back into it with a glider.

Plane.JPG

These days I enjoy puttering around the yard and doing projects around the house.

For me it would be Crown(PSA2, D150a, D75), DB Systems(pre and power amps), FONS(CQ30 Turntable), Grace(F9e Super Phono cart), SME(3009 tonearm), JBL(4311, 4312), Stanton(680a, 681eee).

Like a lot of you I have a few other hobbies too...

Started off building models, a lot of which I still have. I particularly like the 1/16 Don Prudhomme Army funny car / dragster set.

View attachment 44710

Then got into the real things. I restored a couple of 67 Novas, this sport coupe and an SS. Spent a lot of time at car shows, met a lot of great people, and drove a lot of miles. Attended a couple of Car Craft Nationals and a National Nostalgic Nova meet near Baltimore.

View attachment 44711

I got out of the cars when we decided to build a house and needed the funds, so I thought I would try R/C planes. Built this Sig Cadet and flew it a lot until the farmer's field I flew it at turned into a subdivision. I sold it, but hope to get back into it with a glider.

View attachment 44712

These days I enjoy puttering around the yard and doing projects around the house.

I did 1/4 scale RC for a while. Built a 1/4 scale Monocoupe 90a from plans. Loved my Enya 80 powered Great Planes Trainer 60, and my Enya 45 chrome powered Sig Mustang 450. My Sig Aniversary Cub was a favorite. I modified into a "Super Cub", wit flaps and baloon tires so it was good for the "Snow Fly" contest. I had a Craft Aire "Rearwin Speedster" that I also flew with an Enya 80 4 cycle. TOO MUCH TORQUE!! I ended up flying it with a scale prop at a max of 1800 rpm. Looked as good as another club members 1/4 scale Rearwin. I ended up selling off all my EC stuff in the late 1990's. A few years ago I talked myself into the newer 2.4 Ghz Binding RC stuff. First it was a Blade MSR indoor 4 channel helicopter. soon after I bought its big brother the SR120. A year later I got the aerobatic MCP 6 channel job. I suck at flying THAT ONE. also bought an E-Flight Gee-Bee R2. It uses solid state gyro's to stabilize itself! The secret is to fly it at 35-40 percent power, and trim it out that way. At least you won't be flying a speck, as you can fly it in close for longer. Good thing I'm not HARD CORE!

Back