Your other interests...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Morning Guys and Girls,

I was sitting here making some progress with the fictional version of the Lakeview Depot, when I started thinking about some of my other interests outside of Model Railroading, and thinking how neglected they have become. That got me thinking about everyone else and what other interests you guys have.

So, what other interests/hobbies do you guys have? Mine are fairly broad and diverse, depending on my mood at the time, but include:

1. Wood work - 1:1 scale variety
2. Touring solo on my bike
3. Music, listening to and playing
4. Driving

Motorcycles/scooters, RC airplanes, geo caching, target shooting, old cars and bikes, fish and camp. And last but not least - enjoying retirement.

1. Aviation
2. Guitar & Music
3. Investing/Finance
4. Travel
5. Reading
6. DIY Home Improvement
7. Firearms

Brad

Nice ride Ken, you and Tony should tour around!
I have so many interests, but I guess the biggest would be this:
speeders.jpg

Besides trains, I enjoy looking into the history of the railroads that ran in my area years ago, The Northern Pacific and the Milwaukee Road. I also enjoy Flying, photography, bowling and my biggest passion is restoring classic cars.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
This is my baby, but it isn't quite stock. The suspension has been completely upgraded as well as the brakes which a 4 wheel discs. The engine is out of an unfortunate C06 corvette hooked up to a 6 speed manual transmission. It's not a trailer queen by any means, but does spend the winter in a heated shop with some of her friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
My other interest, "hobby" I guess, would be sim-racing online. I have done it for about 11 years or so. I have been racing at www.iracing.com for about 6 years and I love it. I'm a huge race fan, of NASCAR, Indycar, Sportscars, etc., so this is the best way I can get that thrill without having to shell out the money for the real thing. :) I have a complete "cockpit" with a seat from a real car, steering wheel, pedals, etc. Mostly it's short pick up races that are anywhere from 20 - 45 minutes long. But they also mimic real life races for major series, such as the Daytona 500, Indy 500, 24 Hours of Daytona, etc.

Pic of my homemade "cockpit":
Seat%2BFinal%2B2.jpg

Pic of a screen shot from the sim (I also painted both of these cars):
Compuware%2BC6R%2BVette3.jpg

Another pic:
iRacingSim_2013_10_10_17_20_47_235.jpg

Not surprisingly, seems as though the majority of our "other interests" fall within the "creative" category, or speed. I do have a couple of concerns regarding some interests though, well, one in particular -

Montanan - How dare you butcher an O6 Vette! Sacrilege, pure, unadulterated sacrilege!! :)

Mine:

Vet1_zps59026c4b.jpg

Ken -

Any time you want to take a ride, let me know:

desktop1_zpsd399cca0.jpg

I built a bunch of log cabins. Nothing fancy, more like pioneer style.

This one is full dovetail and made from logs I sawed out on our mill. This is my private getaway. We can still hear the train tooting about 3 miles away.

100_0744[1].jpg

There is a partial loft for sleeping. The land was cleared by hand, and believe me, it is in the woods.

I made numerous log cabin kits which I sold as a business. Also, some for fun of round logs (full scribed Swedish method) which I sold with the land under them. When the downturn of 2008 hit, so did my cabin business. Now, I work for the government.

lasm

I am an avid NASCAR fan too. I played a few of the racing games at Daytona last February when I attended the Daytona 500 and they can be a bit addicting. I did a fair amount of racing when I lived in Florida in the 60's and 70's and the simulators are really great. We try to attend a few races each year. I saw my first race at Daytona on the sand in 1957 and have been hooked ever since. It wasn't hard to attend races living in Florida, but we left in 1977 to move home to Montana which limits the amount of races we are able to attend. We usually take the '59 Impala to the races. A great cruiser and it sure gets a lot of attention.

Not surprisingly, seems as though the majority of our "other interests" fall within the "creative" category, or speed. I do have a couple of concerns regarding some interests though, well, one in particular -

Montanan - How dare you butcher an O6 Vette! Sacrilege, pure, unadulterated sacrilege!! :)

Mine:

Vet1_zps59026c4b.jpg

Ken -

desktop1_zpsd399cca0.jpg

I didn't butcher it. The engine came out of a wrecked 2004 Z06. It lives on in a Chevy. With the 6 speed overdrive tranny and the .306 rear end it regularly averages over 30 mpg on the highway. I had people trying to talk me into putting a monster engine in, like a 572 crate motor, but I wanted something I could afford to drive on long road trips.

My other big hobby is sim racing as well. I'm fairly new to iRacing but have been racing in leagues for years on XBOX and now iRacing. I also love old trucks, but i currently don't have one. Anyone here who races iRacing feel free to add me as a friend. My name is exactly as you see it here on the forum but with a space :)

Interesting stuff. Montanan- Love the Chevy 59 or 60? My sons have a 75 Monte Carlo resided in my garage until my one boy got his own house recently. The wife and I enjoy hitting the shows and cruise nights.

Me - I'm an avid swimmer. Goal is always 100 mile per year. Done 1400 miles since Jan 2000. Also aviation, architecture, and hanging out with our dog, Sammy.

My other big hobby is sim racing as well. I'm fairly new to iRacing but have been racing in leagues for years on XBOX and now iRacing. I also love old trucks, but i currently don't have one. Anyone here who races iRacing feel free to add me as a friend. My name is exactly as you see it here on the forum but with a space :)

I'll definitely add you Clay. Make sure to add me as well. (Chuck Chambliss). I have raced in leagues the entire time I have sim-raced. However, I am not currently in one and am enjoying the break for the moment. I just jump in races when I can. I primarily do road races, GT3 Series (etc.), but I also enjoy the NASCAR Series as well. You'll find me on a ton the weeks they race Daytona and Talladega. ;)

Montanan,

"...I didn't butcher it. The engine came out of a wrecked 2004 Z06. It lives on in a Chevy. With the 6 speed overdrive tranny and the .306 rear end it regularly averages over 30 mpg on the highway. I had people trying to talk me into putting a monster engine in, like a 572 crate motor, but I wanted something I could afford to drive on long road trips..."

Relax - I was only kidding with you. I like Vets but, there are a helluva lot of better cars if you want power, handling and (heaven for bid) fuel economy without compromising on the power.

You DO have one hell of a car there Montanan and getting 30 MPG on the open road, darn that is good. I get around 25 out of my Vette at best.

The one car I would love to get my hands on is a 69 SS Camaro (I think), then drop something like a 600 HP Ferrari engine (perhaps a modified F14 motor) into it with a 5 or 6 speed manual gear box, of course. Wouldn't care about the fuel economy :) Actually, I am looking for an 84/85/86 GTS 308 Ferrari. Beef up the trans and get a few more horses out of it, say, another 100 - 150 horses :)

Am also looking at an original 79 Vette in great condition and with very few miles on it. Just got to talk the wife into letting me get one or the other. Might come down to me giving her our current Vet though ... :(

Anyway, lots of interesting hobbies and interests and that is great to see.

Ken -

The bike has a lot of work in it. 107" motor with S&S 585EZG cams putting out 121h/132t. A 6 speed Baker tranny, Fat Bagger 200mm rear end with car tire, Corbin seat, Hog Tunes, RC custom wheels front and back, floating rotors, HID head lights, Garmin GPS, a detachable tour pac, Reinhart true duals exhaust, JayBrake forward controls, oil cooler, Progressive tubes and 440 HD rear shocks. Over 91K miles on the bike. It's been to the west coast, east coast, Gulf coast and Canada. Did my 1K/24 Iron Butt ride on it in less than 17 hours. The only work I haven't done myself was the engine build. Everything else is my work.

Ken, holly poo bar!!!

Mine is pretty much stock, other than the exhaust, and is only the 1340 cc version. Hell, if I were to ride with you, I'd have to leave a day earlier just to get to where ever it was we went "around" the same time :)

I would like to get a beefed up carby and cam for mine, but not sure if it would be worth the money and just cause problems. Mine is a 97 Softtail Heritage with only 14K on her. Only just been run in really. I bought her from a guy who bought it new in Germany, while he was based there some years ago. The bike spent the majority of it's life in storage and only had a little over 7500K on it when I bought it 3 years ago. 7500K in 14 years - can't argue that.

I pretty much ride the speed limit, maybe 5 over. I just like to have the tons of torque there for those occasional surges. Long haul, this bike is like the living room sofa.

My ambition is to have a "log cabin" some where as a retreat to get away from the real world. Maybe one day.
I've got some land for sale you could buy to start the project with..... Another retirement project I started too soon.

I started thinking about some of my other interests outside of Model Railroading, and thinking how neglected they have become. That got me thinking about everyone else and what other interests you guys have.

So, what other interests/hobbies do you guys have?
Hard to say, I have entirely too many interests but very few have enough traction to be called a hobby:
1. Dinosaurs. At one time I was on the path to become a paleontologist. I can blame bad advice from college councilors for that one.
2. Fossils in general. I love collecting sharks teeth. Have written a few minor papers, but nothing like I should have.
3. Geology especially as it relates to origins.
4. Architecture. Another potential career that I was taken off the path of, this time because of high school curriculum.
5. I used to collect Mustangs and Cougars, but after just a few and there is really no place to put them. I'm down to two. Both as 100% stock as possible. Even the tires.
6. I collect Railroad Dining car china.
7. I have a huge collection of the Aurora Model Motoring cars and track. When the children were small every Thanksgiving we would have a turkey day 500 race.
8. Bicycling but I've got no one to ride with so I generally don't.
9. I've been up almost 1/2 of the 14 thousand foot peaks here in Colorado. Was going to do them all by the time I was 40 but other things got more important.
10. Piles of guns I've accumulated through the years but the last time I fired one was when I was in high school.
11. Photography comes in handy, especially when there are so many people out there who think because they own a 35mm camera that they are "photographers".
12. Hated auto racing esp drag racing when I was a child because I had the engineering philosophy that "anyone can build a faster car". Then I discovered all the science of circle track racing with the 1970 and 1971 Daytona 500. Those were the years of the Plymouth Superbird and Dodge Daytonas. While my mother wouldn't let me get into racing, I became interested in NASCAR. As fate would have it I got to go to 1st year of college in the heart of NASCAR country (Greenville SC). This was the David Pearson / Richard Petty era. I think they mostly ruined it when they stopped running stock cars. sigh. But I got to know the names and have lingered - even endured the "car of tomorrow" years. I like taking my Mustang to the track and throwing it around though. All the related science really helped my children with their pinewood derby cars. In all the years we did them (14?) I think there was only 1 that didn't win something.
13. Collecting things. The thrill of the hunt.
14. etc.
15. etc.
16. etc.
17. Inventing things. I've been designing electric cars since high school, looks like the auto manufactures are finally getting the idea.
18. but mostly railfaning, railroad history, and more model railroading, helping others with model railroading.

This is in my garage, 1946 Chevy 1/2 ton Panel Delivery. Bought it as a bare body then spent the next 5 years building it.
350 CI Chevy
400TH Trans
narrowed Ford 9" rear
Mustang II front end
Hand made oak running boards
All original metal body parts

You can't see it from the pictures but the rear tires are 18" wide, hence the narrowed rear end.

MVC-002S3_zps6aa355dd.jpg

MVC-003S4_zps046da8d2.jpg

The '57 Chevy in the second picture belonged to a very close friend that was killed in a motorcycle accident shortly after the picture was taken. Since then I have kinda lost interest in the truck but still have it.

Back