Your Opinion Does Matter

smittydieseldoc

Southern spoken here!
Hello All, Enclosed are pictures of my layout in progress.(Are any layouts ever finished?) I model N scale.The main table is 8'x12',the side table is 1'x8'. The side table will be an industrial/switching/storage area.Need to make a bridge/duckunder to connect the two tables.Would a single track from the main line to the small table look more realistic than a double track? Right now scenery is by the Pink Panther,after I get my trackage finished I will tackle that part.Be modeled around where I live,Piedmont area of NC.Mostly flat around the yard,some small hills and gulleys on the gentle curved side.May even cut down thru the foam and make a small river or stream.What do ya think?Where can I improve.Chip,I read your article on beginning a layout,really fantastic.A must read for everyone.I have been following these posts for awhile now and must say everyone of you is an asset to the model railroading community.Keep it up.

I'd suggest a single track, and take a quick pointer from John, I really like his lift out bridge, looks like it might work well for that spot.

Smitty, you've got the beginnings of nice empire there, especially in N scale. However, unless I'm missing something obvious, why not just attach that 1x8 section to the main layout table? Your aisle space will be exactly the same and you can enter the yard with a lead right off the mainline just before that hill. You can always extend the hill if you want block the view of the smaller section along with some trees on smaller hills on either side of the larger hill. The problem I see with any bridge/duckunder is that it's going to have to be diagonal to mate up with your yard tracks. It seems like it would be a lot of work and a constant headache compared to just integrating it into the main layout.

Spurs aren't usually doubletracked. They'd have to be an exceptionally busy customer to warrent that (Like an auto manufacturing plant or something).

Single all the way!

Thanks for the input,still haven't decided to put it with the main table or stand alone.Did go to my home town and sketch out the small yard there.Then applied it to my 1'x8' section. The main is in the center and runs all the way thru.I could come in on one side and have the other disappear into a fake tunnel,or connect both ends to the main table.What do ya think?

Put it with the main table and have the yard double ended. You have the room to do this and it will make operations much easier and much more interesting. I don't have the space for a double ended yard so mine is stub ended with the the interchange track coming off the yard ladder. If it was double ended, I could shuffle cars around a lot easier to make up trains or get interchange cars in and out of the yard. As it is, I have to move about six cars around to get to one and then tie up the drill track until I get the car out to the interchange track. In a prototype, I'd have to use two switchers to keep the tracks clear for incoming and outgoing cars. Although you can do that easily enough with DCC, it makes it more than a little confusing for a one man operation. A double ended yard only needs one switcher and all you have to do is keep the main clear.

Back