X-Acto #11 blades: sharpener or replacements?

tomstockton

Tom Stockton
Gentlemen,

I would like to get your opinions on this... Several years ago, I purchased a "knife sharpener" from Micro-Mark, which would allow me to re-sharpen #11 blades without removing them from the handle -- pretty convenient. The price was around $20 USD, so I got one.

It has given me years of good service, but now I have a problem. I have used the sharpener so much that I have literally worn the whetstone into pieces. So here's the problem: do I spend $11.95 (plus shipping) for a new whetstone, or do I buy bulk packs of 100 #11 replacement blades? A quick look on "that online auction place" shows I can buy two 100 packs for $28.50, and free shipping. "Generic" brands can be had for as low as $12.99 for 100 (plus shipping).

I've gotten good use of the sharpener -- but would it be more "economical" to skip the replacement whetstone and just buy the bulk replacement packs? I know that in the world of model railroading, this is small potatoes. But I am currently jobless, and need to squeeze every penny as hard as I can. I would like to read your recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I think you would be the best to answer that. There's probably not to many here that have had the hone to make a comparison. How many times can you resharpen a blade and is it as good as a new blade?

I'll cast my vote for the 100-pack of replacement blades. To me it's easier to just swap-out an old blade for a new one.

What I'd really like to see is something I can use to sharpen my 20yr-old Swiss Army knife that I keep on my key chain...

I sharpen my X-Acto by hand sometimes.

However, I find it easier to just buy new blades.

Honing works for me if the blade in not too dull.
A total resharpen, I just replace the blade.

Sometimes, it just needs a good strop on a leather belt, and it will last longer. But I do think that unless you're going through the at more than 2 a week, replacements are less of a hassle.

How much modeling are you doing? Weight out how often you have to replace blades to how often a single blade lasts before you would need to sharpen it. Does the Micro-Mark sharpener do as good of a job making the blade as sharp as a new one?

I don't know either, as I have not had to change/sharpen blades as yet; however, when I do I'd opt just to replace the blades with new ones, especially when comparing the prices.

I do leather work professionally, and use #11 blades to cut intricate corners. I also use them for modelling. The biggest problem I have is snapping the tips as I cut through the leather on a hard surface. (Don't get quite the accuracy from a hard rubber pad.) Never really thought about sharpening the dull blades. Probably not worth the time it would take me.
But if it is a matter of economy, you might do well to get the sharpener. Depends on how you value your time spent sharpening. (That's not meant as a criticism. If you have the time available, then it may not be costing you money on a cost-effectiveness basis. That has to be your call. Personally, I have less time available.)

Thanks for the replies! Something about sharpening (and resharpening) blades appeals to the thrifty side of me. Also, it's been nice to get a blade really sharp when I needed it, such as when cutting decals.

I do have a "full sized" sharpening stone; maybe I just use it more often. It's just that the sharpener from Micro-Mark holds the blade at an ideal angle (20 degrees) and on a steady basis. Guess I'll have to hone my sharpening skills!

Thanks again for all the replies!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

I re-sharpen my own to an extent, using a whetstone. For certain work such as decal cutting, scribing thin styrene and trimming Preiser figures I would use a new blade, which is why I have several handles. I use the older resharpened ones for trimming metal castings and nipping nubs off ties. Beware of some of the generic replacements as they are inferior quality.
willie

There's also the aspect of the ritual. It doesn't need to be more economical or time saving, just satisfying an inner joy and it's soothing aspect. Like that since retiring I've taken to using the old method of shaving with a mug, soap and brush for lather. The straight razor may come next.

Sharpening a blade seems to me to be a time waster, especially with the price of bulk blades. I keep an X-Acto holder with a new blade, and when it seems to be dull, I place the blade in another holder, use it for occasions when a new blade is not needed. Been changing out my blades for years, a small cost of being in the hobby.

I agree that the 100-pack is a great solution.

A one-time hit to the wallet but really worth it if you plan on staying with the hobby. Also Consider buying a 100-pack of single edge razor blades from your local OSH or other hardware store. I have found them a low cost substitute for at least 70-percent of the uses I applied No.11 blades on.

If you have used the whetstone enough to wear it out then get another one. I suspect that sharpening is almost second nature to you.

The blades that I really prefer over Xacto #11 is a #11 scalpel blade. When I retired, I already had several hundred stashed away from the OR med reps, who gave these out like candy. After almost 12 years I'm down to my last 50. (Gotta locate more). One thing that these have over Xacto blades is scalpel blades come in about 2x the variety & 2x the sizes that Xacto's come in.

But these blades are much sharper than Xactos, and they do respond well to the strop treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I can I use the Model master #11 blades vs the X acto #11s. The MM are sharper and seem to last longer. Only problem is that none of the area LHS carry them so I have to internet order them.

Tim

Back