WPF thoughts

Rico

BN Modeller
Well I've been thinking about our favorite topic, the weekly photo fun thread.
It's been suggested before that we make it the monthly photo fun thread, I'm thinking that might be a good idea.
Seems to me it just gets going when it's time for a new one, and quite often it skips a week.
If it were to become monthly perhaps the last person to post at the end of the month would be the one to start the next one.
Any thought?

I have noticed that it usually gets off to a slow start and photos start showing up just before the week ends. Possibly a good idea, or maybe bi weekly.

As long as we're having thoughts, I would note that there are several regular "weekly" or "weekend" photo threads on various forums. Some guys post the same photo on every one. What's the point of having just one more photo thread where the same guy posts the same photo? Or the guy who posts photos he's posted half a dozen times on each of them, for that matter.

I got in a lot of trouble on another forum for raising this topic, but it does seem worthwhile. If we aimed for a biweekly or monthly, might it be a good thing and a point in its favor to ask that they be unique to this forum?

I have a few things for the group to ponder. 1. Perhaps it should be more of a showcase where only photos with an explanation are posted? Anyone requesting assistance should post in another thread. No cudos. The problem with this is it may discourage some people from participating. 2. Perhaps threads could be monthly by era?

Just a few more ideas to ponder.

. 1. Perhaps it should be more of a showcase where only photos with an explanation are posted? Anyone requesting assistance should post in another thread. No cudos. The problem with this is it may discourage some people from participating. .

I think this is a good point. More of a photo only with the explanation.

I am not sure how to get this across, though.

I have a few things for the group to ponder. 1. Perhaps it should be more of a showcase where only photos with an explanation are posted? Anyone requesting assistance should post in another thread. No cudos. The problem with this is it may discourage some people from participating. 2. Perhaps threads could be monthly by era?

Just a few more ideas to ponder.
I don't mind reading through the cudos, and associated comments as long as each of those doesn't "copy" the picture.

I think the idea of moving the "help with" questions to another thread is a good one as long as the question doesn't just need a 1 line answer. We could use some thread starter fodder. I've got no problems with the "Yes, that is a xxx model I purchased in qqq and they are currently on sale at store yyy" type things being in the thread.

As someone who is relatively new to real MR (Not just setting up the train around the tree at Christmas time), it has taken me a while to be able t post pictures that I feel proud of and feel are worthy of being on the WPF tread. I appreciate the kudos that I might get.

The other side of that is this does give great inspiration for the layout as it gets constructed. Explanations are great. "XXX, that is an awesome waterfall. How did you build that?" "Well, I started with... blah, blah, blah..."

As for frequency, I would think that monthly would be fine. And remember that it is the "Photo FUN" thread, so no need to fill it with too many rules. :)

post pictures that I feel proud of and feel are worthy of being on the WPF tread. I appreciate the kudos that I might get.

:)

I have seen the thread more of a "here is a neat thing I am working on or have completed" more than something "worthy". I think that is where the "fun" comes in.

My opinion is that the more participation the better, and someone shouldn't think their stuff is not good enough to participate.

My opinion is that the more participation the better, and someone shouldn't think their stuff is not good enough to participate.

I agree. I'd prefer to have good interaction with a bigger group of people, showing in-progress work, or learning how to make better photos, rather than to have the same people posting the same stuff I already saw on three other forums

I agree. I'd prefer to have good interaction with a bigger group of people, showing in-progress work, or learning how to make better photos,

Hmmmmm.... That part I would agree with, but I thought that's what it was.

rather than to have the same people posting the same stuff I already saw on three other forums

So I guess you are telling me I shouldn't post over here at all? This forum is not my favorite, and if the folks over here don't want to see my work? Oh well! Guess it will save Bob some bandwidth.

The biggest problem with the thread in my mind is that it just gets started and someone posts a new thread of their latest work as a separate thread. That bumps the WPF one down and it gets buried until someone finds it and brings it back to the top. Nothing wrong with a bit of praise for peoples work either! Frankly I think it was better as a Weekend Photo Fun.

The biggest problem with the thread in my mind is that it just gets started and someone posts a new thread of their latest work as a separate thread. .

This points to one of the conundrums of the forum, post photos in your own thread or on the weekly photo fun. If they go in their own thread, hopefully it is built on as part of a bigger project.

Wheras, the WPF photos are one timers that become lost. Also, sometimes we are posting them in the coffee shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess you are telling me I shouldn't post over here at all? This forum is not my favorite, and if the folks over here don't want to see my work?

Nobody can tell anyone what to post or what not. But why do people post the same photo on three, four, half a dozen different forums? Why not post different photos? If Number 9 is pulling a train, why not post photos in different locations on the different forums? If you're showing progress on a bridge, why not post different angles of the project on the different forums?

But I'm not telling anyone to do, or not do, anything, just raising something that has me scratching my head.

Actually, I post less and less because I'd be posting with all the guys who post the same photos.

.... But why do people post the same photo on three, four, half a dozen different forums? Why not post different photos?

I can't speak for anyone else, but as for me.... I may take 20 photos of the same subject using a different angle, f stop, lighting, exposure, etc. Then they go on my iMac and into Photoshop where they are checked for color accuracy, balance, cropped, etc., before they are finally saved on a hard drive. I then reduce the file size and save under a modified name so they can be easily shown online. The 3 or 4 shots that are now saved out of the original 20 are placed in my Photobucket account for use in the two forums I ever post at. I only post the photos I think show what I want you to see.

I have been a member of about 5 Model Railroad Forums over the past decade plus, but rarely ever visit 3 of them. Personally it doesn't bother me to see the few that do use the same photos on the two I frequent. I copy the post from whichever forum I post to first and them copy/paste it to the other. Besides there are a lot of folks here that never get over to my "home" place.

Your mileage may vary.....

I rather enjoyed when people would post their progress shots of building their layout or some other accomplishment. This, and across the street were more of a "here's what I've been working on" photo thread. Now I feel like people think their photos need to be magazine quality or nothing. Yes, quality work and quality photos are nice, but everyone crawls before they walk. Also, nothing wrong with atta boys. I'll admit it, I like them as well. I feel it's only human nature to seek acceptance. Finally, this is the only train forum I regularly read anymore. I use to read three but I just don't take the time to keep up. Someone posting the same pictures on all the forums they read isn't a problem with me. Of, course, we all have our opinions. I just thought I'd share mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, this is the only train forum I regularly read anymore. I use to read three but I just don't take the time to keep up. Someone posting the same pictures on all the forums they read isn't a problem with me. Of, course, we all have our opinions. I just thought I'd share mine.

I started looking at a couple other forums but this is the one that feels like "home". One is downright unfriendly, and the other just doesn't feel natural. I found it a little tough to keep track of more than one, anyway.

AS far as WPF, I guess sometimes it will be full of photos and sometimes altogether dead. In some ways we are like a herd of cats, we all have our own mind. Probably why no two layouts are exactly the same.

There I asked for thoughts and got lots and lots!
(Sorry, just watched a Dr Suess clip)

Looks like the last thread is going strong, maybe we can revive the tradition as is.
Still something to think about I guess...

I think the particular day we start/end a thread plays a part in it. Tuesday-Tuesday or Wednesday-Wednesday makes sense to me. Heck, sometimes it takes me a few days or a week to finally upload my weekend project!

LASM - I will totally agree with you about this forum being the most friendly. I do belong to a couple of others, but without a doubt, I enjoy this forum so much more. One seems to be more interested in N scale, other ones are very difficult to post photos on. I think we have tha best modelrailroad forum right here.

Back