WPF Aug 4 to Aug 11

logandsawman

It is about time we started this for the week. I finished another vintage kit last week, an Iron Works building with a 5 x 12" footprint.

The strips of steel I find on our city streets. I have about 30 pieces that I picked up all over the place while walking around town. They are tough to cut, kind of a brittle steel. Some are shiny from the traffic. They make a good load.

ironworks 003.jpg

The stones look better close up than they did when I opened the package.

bldg 001.jpg

Thanks for looking, lasm

Nice looking building, love the older kits!
I believe the metal strips are brake shims, they do make a nice load.
I don't really have any modelling to share so here's a shot a friend of mine took just west of Winnipeg, MB:

image.jpg

Lasm, I like your Iron Works building, and the stones look good too. What didn't you like about them?

Rico, peaceful sunset.

This week I'm putting up a HO Saw Mill with a water wheel. My favorite are the log drivers. I can't imagine riding a wet, slippery log down a river while driving other logs.

Saw Mill HO Scale 1.jpg

Saw Mill HO Scale 2.jpg

Saw Mill HO Scale 5.jpg

From the Normal ( Nscale) side of my train hobby. GP 35m 2370 in her original colours pulling covered hopper GVR 4107 around the Onandaga Sub.Next month 2370 will have served the GVR for 30 years.(ATLAS/KATO loco)

GVR4107_a.jpg

I believe the metal strips are brake shims, they do make a nice load.
:

]

Brake shims? That would explain why I find them on our streets. Doesn't this seem like a large quantity?

ironworks 002.jpg

RICO I went over them with a several coats of paint,some india ink, and a little tuck pointing to get them like this. I think it was because they were different from all my other plastic kits. But, that reminds me, part of why I bought it is because they were different and I wanted something different.

Sunset = beautiful
MTS, excellent detail with mill pond
CATT I love a clean, neat layout
irocin I'll be checking out your video today
Jurg you are a pro.

lasm ... I like your iron works building.... I used parts from that kit to kitbash some of my background buildings against the backdrop. If you look carefully, you migh recognize the end of the building in the back of the photo I will post below. (The bldg with AC units in windows.)
rico ... Nice photo. That would make an impressive back drop sky for a layout.
Model Train Structures... The saw mill is terrific!
irobinblu ... Impressive layout in the video.
CATT .... I like your GP35m
jurg ... Wow. Your photography and modeling are very impressive.

Below is a pair of red SD's arriving in Black Hawk from the steel mill branch line with empty hoppers which had delivered coal to the coke ovens.

SDsinBH_zps04b42868.jpg

Everyone - The more I see the more impressed I am. Beautiful work all the way around. You guys truly inspire me to do better work on my own layout.

As always, some fantastic modeling being shown. Always love this thread!

I finally managed to get a bit more done on the girder bridge today. Needed to create some J bolts to tie the sleepers (ties) to the top of the bridge. The prototype has them every 4th. tie so I did the same (except for the center where it is only the 3rd. tie as I am one tei short from the protoype). Finally decided to use some shortened code 70 rail spikes I had laying around. Drilled holes in each tie that would get the J Bolt and then glued them into the holes and set to connect with the top of the I beam undermeath. The photo has the bridge upside down setting on the walls. Shots of both sides.

SmallGirder17w_zpse1831762.png

SmallGirder18w_zpsf876d11c.png

Good work guys.

Garry, I like your Midwestern version of the Sykesville, MD B&O station. Michael, nice looking train under the train shed. Montanan and Ray Howard nice bridges.

Joe

Back