Would like suggestions for folding legs or other portability options

TexasAndy

Greetings everyone!

I will be starting my 2nd layout very soon and have decided upon a typical 4X8 N scale layout based on 1X4 gridwork with a 2" foam board as the surface this keeps the weight down and should make it portable. What I would like is options for folding legs so I can move this thing into the garage on occasion so we can reclaim the game room for its intended purpose and also so my wife doesn't kill me. Thank you in advance.

TexasAndy,

You have a number of viable options for folding legs, depending on how much work you want to do and/or how much money you want to spend.

I built "portable fold up tables" for when I was doing reenacting. The method I adopted for the legs was a very simple, easy to build system where the legs folder up and into the frame work and between one another so the tables folded/laid flat when being transported.

If your interested, I can send you the "plans/design" on how to do that.

Another, even easier, option is to use 1 X 4 timber, round one end off and bolt them to them to the inside of the frame work with supports bolted to the legs and back up to the frame. All you would then need to do is remove the bolts from the supports (at the frame) loosen the bolts where the supports attach to the legs and the bolts attaching the legs to the rame and fold everything up.

I am looking into adjustable height buffet tables. I just found the link below and may order a pair to start my planned new cameo railroad.

http://www.kmart.com/cosco-home-and...kjmFonPIazv5GEUk3vhoCp_kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

These are only up to 36 inches or counter height. By the time I add 1 X 2 frame and 2-4 inch foam baseboard it will be 40-42 inches in height. Lots of suppliers and retailers for these tables can be found with google query: portable buffet tables 48 inch height

Ken Adams

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings everyone!

I will be starting my 2nd layout very soon and have decided upon a typical 4X8 N scale layout based on 1X4 gridwork with a 2" foam board as the surface this keeps the weight down and should make it portable. What I would like is options for folding legs so I can move this thing into the garage on occasion so we can reclaim the game room for its intended purpose and also so my wife doesn't kill me. Thank you in advance.

But games rooms are what trains were invented for (or vice-a-versa). Games are for where the fresh air is, outside :rolleyes:

Check building stores like Home Depot or Menard's they may have metal folding legs intended for tables and all you wold have to do is attach them.

Greg

0a158095-44e6-4f6d-ab7f-60ec355a7563_145.jpg

Something like this.......? From Home Depot.

Greg

0a158095-44e6-4f6d-ab7f-60ec355a7563_145.jpg

Something like this.......? From Home Depot.

Greg

I've used those on portable work benches up to about 30" wide, but for something 48' or more, too easy to tilt the table if leaning on the edge. If you can screw a piece of 3"x 1" across the bottom to extend the support width, they should be OK. A hint, always assemble them to the table top, with the legs extended.

While they're not folding legs, I've been using 35 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans for supporting my dioramas when I take photos.

Back