Would anyone want to design a layout for me?

A few more boring shots.

8e74fc9a.jpg

9e74ea52.jpg

28" outside turn and 24" inside. Not sure if I'll be able to squeez bigger in there safely or not.
6ca33633.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that's easy. This is what I have, total of 24 on my layout.

For DCC controlled switches, I would recommend Peco Insulfrogs with Peco switch machines (solenoid machines made for DCC).

The switches are high quality, last long. And the switch machines mount directly under the switch points. So there is no visible switch machine, or other device (like tortoise, that are mounted under the benchwork).

You dig a small 2"x2" hole in your foam, and fit the switch machines in there.

I like them because they are not visible.

Now you will need DCC accessory decoders also, they talk to your command station.

I have the NCE snap-it's. They are for DCC and solenoid switch machines.

I will be checking into those then sir. This is the time I wish someone with more experience lived closer to me so they could help out haha.

There is a train expo here in september Im going to go check out and see what or who I can find.

I did manage to score some 2" foam on Craigslist for $20 a sheet tonight. Will be picking it up this weekend. Thats the cheapest Ive found it. May pick up everything he has (15 sheets) so I can use it not just as the subroadbed but also landscaping.

That means I need to get working on my lift outs :)

I didn't see you mention anything about backdrops. Are you planning to install backdrops?

If so (and they make the layout look so much better), make sure you install the backdrops before laying track.

Also, you should paint the foam. Just get some latex flat paint. Probably a dirt brown color is good.

Yea I have the liftouts to worry about now.

I will be adding a backdrop here soon. Still trying to figure it out though. Not to sure if I want sky or a combo of sky and landscape.

This may be a bit hard to explain on here but I'll try.

The very long wall on the right, as you walk in will be a yard to hold coal cars and well cars, with a container yard in the top right corner where the closet is now.

Continuing around just to the left of the window will be a passenger station and all the way to the middle of the peninsula will be a town made up of many German Kibri buildings I have from years ago (if you are facing the track with your back to the window
like one of the last pics I posted)

The opposite side of the peninsula all the way to the door where you enter the room will be a industrial coal area.

I plan on dividing the German town and coal area with a hillside. In my mind this is all working out and should have a pretty neat outcome once completed.

Hop you can get a visual on what I was explaining :)

So After drawing the track plan out on my plywood I noticed I had more room than I thought and was thinking of adding the yard at one end and adding it into the branch line that will be for the loading and unloading of containers into well cars. That way no other trains (coal or passanger) would be on that line.

What do you guys think?

layout8yard.jpg

Its kind of hard to see but there are red lines on this image. All the red would be a new addition to the original plan.

I love seeing benchwork being built. Very impressive work. I wish I took more time with mine and built it more like yours. Thats great progress for only three days!!! :eek: Looking forward to more and keep up the good work! I also like the addition to the trackplan. Adds some operating interest. The only thing with stub-ended tracks is having to back the train out. (one thing I am changing on my layout) If you add 2 turnouts at the end you can make a runaround for the locomotives to hookup to the other end of the train and pull out. Just a thought

Thanks blue. I was thinking of just backing cars into it and having engines back in To hook up. I'm still trying to figure out if I could put a reversing loop in some place but it's not looking good lol.

Where are you talking about the two turnouts?

I also picked up my 2" foam today and got 3 pieces cut. By the time I got them upstairs, I had 4 pieces though.

Sooo.... What's the best way to smooth the joints where the foam meets?

Also, what's the best thing to use to cut this foam? I'd like to get cleaner cuts than I am with a razorblade.

You can fill the joints with the latex caulk.

If you have a jigsaw, you can use that to cut the foam. It's alot faster that ways also.

Don't have much to update at this time guys, Irene decided to pay me a visit here in Virginia beach and we've been without power for a few days so I haven't made any progress. Maybe within the next week or two. Everything from here on out is the time consuming parts haha. Don't want to rush anything and make mistakes.

I feel your pain, I just got my power back this morning after ~80 hours in the dark. The portable generator isn't powerful enough to run the A/C unit, and my garage gets hotter than an oven without it!

A few more boring shots.
28" outside turn and 24" inside. Not sure if I'll be able to squeez bigger in there safely or not.

You've got a 4" track centreline spacing there. You should be able to quite safely go with a 2.5" spacing and widen out the inside curve to a 25 1/2" radius.

I just joined this forum and was reading about the progress. It all of a sudden ended -- what is going on with the layout?

Back