Working Together

Royalhaw

OK, EVERYONE. :confused: I have been reading this forum for the last year and I have obtained some great information from the various memebers. The advise received has been great BUT, I miss the direct contact and sit down discussion that direct contact affords. I am looking to find ANYONE that lives within a 30 mile radius of Murrieta, California (Southern California, Riverside County) that would like to get together to discuss and work on our favorate topic, N Scale railroading. I have a small (3' x 6') layout but it has a large freight yard, freight depot, passenger depot, state park with a baseball diamond and campground, a marina with a river, waterfall and lake. I have two main lines and some spir lines. I would like to continue the layout with some direct help to work on my problems (couplers, track issues, etc.). I am a 30 year veteran police officer that has been retired for 17 years so I am not a "kook". I just want to colaborate on our mutual interest. Any takers?:confused: Thanks for reading, Harlan Wilson.:D

I was going to suggest a club as well. I've had a great time talking trains with my local group. We meet once a week for scheduled club stuff, but most members have keys to the building as well for non-official gatherings, and occasionally meet up outside of club activities for more train fun. Further, they're a wealth of information, especially for regional train stuff.

Also, you might want to remove the exact street address from the location field in your profile.

:( I would love to join a club. I have researched for clubs in the area and found two. One is in San Diego (60 miles away) and the other is in Orange County (65 miles away). Both these have no one on their member lists that live within 30 miles of my residence. I have posted notices at the two hobby shops in my area but I have not received any response and when checking with the hobby shop owners they say that their sales of rail equipment is low. The big things are the remote controlled cars and airplanes. Well, I will keep looking. Thanks for the advise, any other thoughts? Harlan :confused:

Clubs

Thanks for the link "Old 97". I ran through the list, same results. There are a few clubs in San Diego and many in the LA area but LA is about 75-100 miles away which includes Burbank and the northern Orange county clubs. Maybe I should start a club of my own, hard to do with only one member. I will keep trying. Thanks, guys. Harlan :)

I don't know if this would help in your case or not, But about 4 times a year I run a free ad in my local shopping guide. The ad runs for 30 days at a time.
I put this in the ad;

Wanted; People interested in Model Railroading. All scales.
Phone number & 1st name

I also run an ad that reads this way;

Wanted; HO scale Trains, engines, scenery & structures
Phone number & 1st name

What these ads do is find people that use to be into trains or are thinking about getting back into the hobby. They will contact you about selling their trains or wanting to see your layout to get the interest again.
So far, I have located about 15 people that are into N, HO, O27, O & G scale.
They don't go to Hobby Shops & some have their trains boxed up in the attic or basements.
I have 4 guys that have keys to my trainroom that run their trains on my layout. We go to trainshows & swap meets all the time. We are not a Club, but enjoy the friendship of having the same things in common. It's taken about 10 years to find everyone at diff times & years. Our closest Hobby Shops & Trains shows are 55 miles one way. We go to Train Shows up to 100 miles away.:D:)

Thank you guys. The Vista Club looks great. I have contacted them and we will see what comes of the contact. Thank you Larry, Chrisk and Old 97 you have all been very helpful.

OK guys (and gals). The Vista Club is great and only about 30 miles away. I will get the direct help I need. They have been operating for about 20 years and are now in the 6th year of a 10 year project to construct a prototypical layout of the Donner Pass area of CA from Kolfax, CA to Sparks, NV. This is a major task and it looks great. Thanks again. Harlan....

Back