Working Roundhouse

Sweet-Chuck

Here are some photos of a working roundhouse, and a few from UNDER a steam locomotive. These were taken at Greenfield Village Michigan. Tomorrow we are going to The Henry Ford Museum, where I am sure there will be more photos taken. uploadfromtaptalk1436016741863.jpguploadfromtaptalk1436016774410.jpguploadfromtaptalk1436016795385.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Beautiful roundhouse, great pictures!!
There is another even larger working roundhouse in Sugar creek Ohio, but it's a private enterprise built and paid for by its owner.

Here's another "working" roundhouse, though it's much smaller than it used to be. I would sit by the side of the road and watch them turn F units while on the way to my girl friend's house (now my wife of 42 years). Back then, I was too young and stupid to realize I should have had a camera with me and taken pictures!

http://www.milwaukeerailroadshops.org/

Beautiful roundhouse, great pictures!!
There is another even larger working roundhouse in Sugar creek Ohio, but it's a private enterprise built and paid for by its owner.
A private enterprise? Geez, what for?

This must be one of the few round houses still in existence, let alone still operating. Nice shots and thanks.
Wombat,
It is one of a handful still operating in full capacity in the US. I dont recall how many exactly, but very very few.

Technically, it doesn't appear to be a "working" roundhouse, since its obviously a museum and display building. It looks like a really cool facility, with lots of railroad displays, I hope to go there someday.

Well, I dont know what classifies 'working', but the turntable is used, and the machine shop inside is used for maintenance and repair.

Technically, it doesn't appear to be a "working" roundhouse, since its obviously a museum and display building. It looks like a really cool facility, with lots of railroad displays, I hope to go there someday.
It is a tourist railway, and the roundhouse was built for the operation. So it's not a historic building. It is, however, a working roundhouse, as the steam locomotives they operate are stored and maintainer there. It's one of a few where you can view the whole operation.

Here's the info on the Ohio roundhouse.

The (slightly out if date) description

Wishing to share with others his passion for the steam locomotive, Jerry Joe Jacobson has established the Age of Steam Roundhouse.
The Roundhouse will seek to:​
  1. Preserve the steam locomotives, historic diesels, passenger cars and other railroad relics in the collection of Jerry Joe Jacobson
  2. Construct a full-scale, operating and realistic roundhouse and back shop to overhaul, repair and maintain Jerry’s rolling stock
  3. Fire-up and operate the steam locomotives on non-passenger carrying freight trains
  4. Display and interpret this railroad heritage for the edification, enlightenment and entertainment of future generations of Americans.
The entire Age of Steam Roundhouse and site are being constructed and maintained with private funds donated by Jerry Joe and Laura Jacobson. It is expected that the roundhouse and back shop shall be completed in late 2011, with other buildings and structures being completed later during Phase 2 of this massive undertaking. Additionally, an endowment has been established so that the monumental construction work of this roundhouse and the treasures it contains may be guaranteed continued existence into the future.​
Since he no longer owns a railroad line, Jerry will not be running passenger excursion trains, but numerous times each year Jerry’s steam locomotives will be used to power freight trains across the rails of neighboring railroads.

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com

Back